PDA

View Full Version : new to discus need tips

dbfzurowski
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey guys,
First of all this forum is awesome, lots of info.
After owning a fresh water planted tank for over 2 years, i was thinking of switching to saltwater simply because the fish are "prettier" as my girl would say. Then i saw some discus at LFS and decided to switch over.
I researched a lot before i committed my self to owning some. I read over and over that keeping discus is very difficult. Since my angels would spawn over and over in my tank i figured that my water conditions would be sufficient to raise some discus.
I got 6 2in discus, 3 assorted, blue diamond, fire dragon and siam red master.
In the tank i also keep a mid size pleco, small fire eel, dragon fish and 9cardinal tetras.
I have a 37 gal tank
Its mid planted as i dont have a good lighting system and no co2 injection.
ph=7.2-7.4
gh=around 18dh
kh=2-3dh
I do 15-20% w/c every 2-3 days
i feed 3 times a day, frozen bloodworms, beef heart and brine shrimp
I keep my temp at 82 deg which is acceptable for all my fish.

I was wondering if there's anything else that I need to do to keep my discus happy?
This is just a temp tank as I'm moving next year and will be setting up a 55gal.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to getting some tips ideas from you guys.

David Rose
11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Welcome to SD dbfzurowski!

To keep your discus in a 37G tank until next year will be difficult to keep them happy and grow them out to their fullest potential. Most of their growth happens in the first 12-15 months, so space will be important.

You might want to research more and consider sooner. Craigslist is always a great place to buy a larger tank for a reasonable price.

Best of luck!

ifixoldhouses
11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
For best results:Get a 55 gallon, buy about six 3" Discus from a sponsor here, keep it BB with a sponge filter or two, and two 150 watt heaters.Temp around 86, change 50% water every day, check your ph fluctuation over 24 hrs to determine if you need to age water before W/C , use Prime, learn what to look for in Disease section. I started with plants and gravel and LFS fish and it was a fiasco. good luck, you've come to the right place.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 01:15 AM
You know i would love to get my 55gal up and running now but i dont have room and the resources now.
So is my water in good condition? with the ph and all?
As to them not growing to their fullest potential, i have to be honest here.
I was a little scared after reading that discus are hard fish to keep, so i found a website with the cheapest discus there is and bought six. From pictures/threads i learned that 4 maybe 5 of the 6 i got are stunt(bug eyes and triangular body shapes). I will post some pictures as soon as i get some nice once. The discus i got seem very happy in my tank and keep on swimming around making it a bit difficult to take pics.

darkknight87
11-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Let me Guess. Somethingphisy?

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Yup, somethingphishy, i ordered like a duck and then did research on website only to find horrible reviews.
Got the fish a week ago, one looks sick.
Here are some photos of the fish, 1st time posting pics so hopefully it will work.
Sory for the quality.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/th_100_0387.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/?action=view&current=100_0387.jpg)
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/th_100_0389.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/?action=view&current=100_0389.jpg)
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/th_100_0401.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/?action=view&current=100_0401.jpg)
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/th_100_0402.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/?action=view&current=100_0402.jpg)
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/th_100_0408.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn29/wadopl/?action=view&current=100_0408.jpg)

David Rose
11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
You know i would love to get my 55gal up and running now but i dont have room and the resources now.
So is my water in good condition? with the ph and all?
As to them not growing to their fullest potential, i have to be honest here.
I was a little scared after reading that discus are hard fish to keep, so i found a website with the cheapest discus there is and bought six. From pictures/threads i learned that 4 maybe 5 of the 6 i got are stunt(bug eyes and triangular body shapes). I will post some pictures as soon as i get some nice once. The discus i got seem very happy in my tank and keep on swimming around making it a bit difficult to take pics.

You're water parameters are within acceptable limits for juveniles and adults, but I would definitely recommend increasing your water change routine to 50% or more daily for better health and growth results; especially, given your feeding schedule and stocking levels. If you regrettably suffer any fatalities, I would not replace them until next year in your 55G.

I do have a few questions:
What kind of substrate are you using?
Do you use a water conditioner such as Prime to treat chlorine/chlorimines?
Do you use any buffers or addatives of any kind?
What kind of filtration are you using such as make/model?

Take care,

David Rose
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
If you did get your fish from SomethingPhishy, they'll give you good practice. I still have a few from there, but the SD sponsors; are the way to go for future orders in my experience. Their appearance, size, and health are super by comparison.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Next year its going to be 55gal and hopefully something bigger after. Then i'll get more fish, probably from a local breeder(over 100miles, so not so local maybe) but i want to hand pick fish from now on. I think current stock is good enough for future 55 gal.
I did get them from somethingphishy, i posted some pictures but i think they await approval.

What kind of substrate are you using?
-small gravel/fine sand. nothing fertilized as when 1st setting up i didnt intend to have plants

"Do you use a water conditioner such as Prime to treat chlorine/chlorimines?"
-since i lack of space now, i have a 5gal bucket in which i put some "stress coat+" from API and an air stone for few hours.
-for plants i just use "Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium" and about 1.3W/gal of lighting since i do not want to grow out my plants just yet.

What kind of filtration are you using such as make/model?
-standard eclipse h-size filter(not sure if that's correct name) with a bio-wheel
- i love diy projects and would dream to be able to fit a dry/wet filter but thats not going to happen till 55gal gets setup.

mmorris
11-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry, but I think you are headed down the wrong path here. You have a planted 37 gallon tank with six juvie discus plus a variety of other fish. Doesn't the dragon fish get to be well over a foot long? Same with the fire eel? I don't know which pleco you have, but many, and probably most, are not suited to a discus tank. Some will feed off the slime on the bodies of the discus and some will harrass them, particularly at night when the discus are trying to rest. 82 degrees is, IMO, much too cool for such young discus. I would up it to 85. I would feed 4-6 times a day when the discus are so young, and I would be doing wc's daily, particularly given your stocking density. A planted tank is not the best way to grow out discus to their best potential because they are so difficult to keep sufficiently clean. If the 37 gallon tank had no other fish in it, and no substrate or plants, you might be able to get away with keeping the six discus in it for six months or so. Discus are not difficult to keep but they do have minimum requirements.

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, i cant feed more then 3 times a day, its hard enough to come home during lunch hours to feed them as is.
The dragon goby and fire eel will grow pretty big but by the time they do they will be in a bigger tank. The dragon is an ugly fish but i "saved" it from walmart as they were kept with some puffers which nipped their fins and out of 5 they had, only one was left alive so i had to buy it.
Fire ells are awesome fish, they stay hidden most of time only to come out during feeding and like my discus they eat right out of my hand.
The pleco is about 9in and its the laziest fish in the world, just sits in one place waiting for his algae waffles, i dont think he's bothering other fish.
I think i rushed my self with the discus purchase, i should have waited till i setup my 55gal tank, but... what can i do now.
I'm slowly raising the temp, about 1 deg every few days and looking if other fish are comfortable with it, eventually if all is good i will have higher temps.

mmorris
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, i cant feed more then 3 times a day, its hard enough to come home during lunch hours to feed them as is.
The dragon goby and fire eel will grow pretty big but by the time they do they will be in a bigger tank. The pleco is about 9in and its the laziest fish in the world, just sits in one place waiting for his algae waffles, i dont think he's bothering other fish.
I think i rushed my self with the discus purchase, i should have waited till i setup my 55gal tank, but... what can i do now.
I'm slowly raising the temp, about 1 deg every few days and looking if other fish are comfortable with it, eventually if all is good i will have higher temps.

Automatic feeders are perfect for busy people. The pleco may appear lazy but when the lights are out, I suspect he is anything but!

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Automatic feeders are perfect for busy people.
yea, didn't think about that. I researched some, seems you can only put dry food in there. I'm using frozen, can you recommend something?

dbfzurowski
11-24-2009, 09:07 PM
hey my pictures are up:)
Can someone comment on there discus, i don't mind negative feedback but keep in mind i just got them 6days ago. All eating good, one sick posted in "disease" section.

Also, i'm guessing some of these are stunt fish. Does that mean that no matter what i do they will never grow out to "plate" size?

mmorris
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
yea, didn't think about that. I researched some, seems you can only put dry food in there. I'm using frozen, can you recommend something?

I use a variety of flake and pellet. :) If they don't eat it right away, they will learn to soon.

Are you sure these are two inches? Tail included? If so, they seem pretty colored up for two inches. The eyes don't make them appear stunted if they really are only two inches though. I think they will grow up just fine, although I don't know about plate size. You might want to worm them.

David Rose
11-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Eheim 3581 is a great feeder!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/pr/c/3578?ref=4084&subref=AA&cmpid=Affiliate-_-LinkShare-_-Fish-_-Fish1-0706%20%20120%20x%2090

If you go through the above link to get to Dr. F&S from the SD website, you can enter the Eheim 3581 in the search to take a look and possibly order. You can also click on the banner at the top of or this page to do the same thing.

dbfzurowski
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Yea there more like 2.5-3 inch, i don't want to take them out to measure, no need for that extra stress.
Not stunt you say, that's great. Think i got paranoid with my discus.
Need to relax and enjoy. happy thanksgiving guys, i'm out to get my turkey!

mmorris
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Yea there more like 2.5-3 inch, i don't want to take them out to measure, no need for that extra stress.
Not stunt you say, that's great. Think i got paranoid with my discus.
Need to relax and enjoy. happy thanksgiving guys, i'm out to get my turkey!

They might be stunted but if they are, it isn't obvious to me. I've seen worse. So now, do what you now know you need to do for them so they can grow to their fullest potential: a bigger tank, bare bottom, no tankmates (or at least not the ones you have!), more feedings, more water changes and warmer water (sooner!). You've been given some excellent advice from a number of people. :)

dbfzurowski
11-25-2009, 02:37 PM
They might be stunted but if they are, it isn't obvious to me. I've seen worse. So now, do what you now know you need to do for them so they can grow to their fullest potential: a bigger tank, bare bottom, no tankmates (or at least not the ones you have!), more feedings, more water changes and warmer water (sooner!). You've been given some excellent advice from a number of people. :)

yup, thanks for all the info guys. i'm sure my fish will benefit:)

lemondiscus
11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
All of the advise given on here so far I unfortunately learned the hard way... You did do well though getting more than 1... I made that mistake too... fortunately that one IS still alive and well over 2 years later BUT it took a long time to get that fish to stop bullying others.

Yes this forum has TONS of info that will help you along the way. Each person has their own way to do things but that does not mean you should start off in the hobby making up your own way... Do whatever works for you that is PROVEN to work... If you want to do things your own way do so only after you KNOW it will work... If you are new to discus, listen to others first. There are TONS of people who have been in the hobby for 10,20,30+ years and they are NOT giving advice for us not to listen!

That is the best tip I have ever got...

rickztahone
11-26-2009, 03:41 PM
those fish are not as bad as some of the "first" discus usually tend to get. they do have potential. some do have slightly larger eyes but that can be fixed with power feeding and major WC's IMO

judy
11-26-2009, 08:00 PM
A few posts back you said your pleco is about nine inches???? In a 37 gallon??? That is both unfair to the pleco, which badly needs a much bigger tank at that size, and it will suck the life right out of the discus. Choose either the discus or the pleco and get rid of the one you don't choose. You will not be able to keep those discus alive with a pleco that big in the tank.
You have the discus now; it would have been good for you to be asking questions here prior to your getting them.

dbfzurowski
11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I've had the pleco sine he was about 3inches. Like a son to me, like all my fish pretty much.
My solution is getting another tank, and moving the discus to it.
Would 29 gal be enough for few months BB?

judy
11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
No matter what the size of the tank, a pleco that size simply cannot coexist with discus. The discus will ultimately be killed. If a 29 BB is the best you can do, then so be it. But get the discus OUT of the tank with the other fish. And do not think for a minute that a bigger tank will enable you to keep all your livestock in that one tank. For six discus, a sixty gallon would be the minimum "adult" size. An eighty would be better.

jaykne
11-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Your fish are not to bad the first 6 I got were really bad but put the in a 55 with nothing but sponge filter and heater, and had a canister filter also, I feed flakes and pellet 6 times a day and beefheart and frozen blood worms, keep my temp at 88 and did 90% water change every day and got them from 3 to between 5-6". The fish you have if you did that probably get even bigger, allot of people gave you good advice take it the fish are not really bad, kind of surprized concidering were you got them from. Martha gave you allot of good advice take it, Larry.