PDA

View Full Version : Diluted RO and parameters question

Double Up
11-24-2009, 01:00 AM
In my breeding tank I have been using straight RO water adjusted to Ph 6.5(using discus buffer). Is it better to dilute the water with some tap water like 50/50? I live in downtown Detroit and have great tap-straight water parameters. My Pair has had 5 straight weekly spawns but the female eats the eggs after 2-2.5 days. I presume the eggs are not being fertilized. I turn the filter off when spawning is imminent and have had the luxary of watching the process 3 times. The male seems to do a great job of getting over the eggs laid and the pair work together in near perfect harmony. Is it a water issue? or is this guy shooting blanks?

Eddie
11-24-2009, 04:25 AM
In my breeding tank I have been using straight RO water adjusted to Ph 6.5(using discus buffer). Is it better to dilute the water with some tap water like 50/50? I live in downtown Detroit and have great tap-straight water parameters. My Pair has had 5 straight weekly spawns but the female eats the eggs after 2-2.5 days. I presume the eggs are not being fertilized. I turn the filter off when spawning is imminent and have had the luxary of watching the process 3 times. The male seems to do a great job of getting over the eggs laid and the pair work together in near perfect harmony. Is it a water issue? or is this guy shooting blanks?

What color are the eggs after 24-48 hours, just before the fish eats them?

Could be the fish are young, could be 2 females, or as you say....blanks. Is it a proven pair?

Eddie

Double Up
11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
The eggs are clear/light pink before they are eatin' and no sign of develpoment(dark inner mass). Not two females. Yes, they are young.

White Worm
11-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I would just do a 70/30 mix RO/Tap instead of messing with the buffer chemicals.

John_Nicholson
11-25-2009, 06:36 PM
If the fish in your avatar is what is breeding the eggs are not really going to get that dark. I would cover the eggs to see if they are going to do anything. I would never try to adjust your water with chemicals you are just asking for problems. I would suggest that you completely forget about ph and just make sure that it is soft enough. If it is to hard add more RO, if it is to far on the soft side add more tap.

-john

Eddie
11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
If the fish in your avatar is what is breeding the eggs are not really going to get that dark. I would cover the eggs to see if they are going to do anything. I would never try to adjust your water with chemicals you are just asking for problems. I would suggest that you completely forget about ph and just make sure that it is soft enough. If it is to hard add more RO, if it is to far on the soft side add more tap.

-john

Great info from John, cage the fighters (eggs) and see if they get to wrigglers.

Eddie

Double Up
11-27-2009, 03:35 AM
Yes, the fish in my avatar pic is the male in the pair. I'll try ditching the chems, check hardness, adjust RO/tap ratio and see what happens. Thanks !

Double Up
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Looks like they might spawn tonight, gonna cage them if they do.