PDA

View Full Version : Lily and discus

smiley
11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Does anyone known of compatibility issues in having water lily with discus. My friend has a water lily (potted) and i was thinking of adding it to my tank. I currently have the dwarf lily and it has no issues but i was thinking of the long ones. Doubt if they would cover the top of the tank if they grow fast

ChloroPhil
11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Planted water lilies and discus are fantastic companions.

Regards,
Phil

smiley
11-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks phil ... will try it out today...maybe it could be tougher to grow them in an aquarium? is it? or any other known difficulty?

ChloroPhil
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Smiley,

You'll probably find that your plants shoot to the surface once they get established since you're not injecting CO2. That's probably a good thing though. :D

I found my lilies grow best when I give them a root tab every four months. They really like the extra fertilizer, even when grown in a mulm rich substrate.

Please take photos of your plant(s) so we can see how they grow over time.

Regards,
Phil

mareshow
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
i had Lillies but my discus ate them :confused: so i dont have lillies anymore lol,

smiley
11-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow ... whatever happened yesterday night was just amazing...I just put the lily with Half the height of the tank and when i woke up today its reached the top...that was fast (Maybe it is the Substrate or it could be light Excel dosage)..Tank height is nearly 80cm..

The second shoot is coming up (reach 3/4th of the height as of now).. This is interesting..and it is good to see the discus just swirls in between the shoots...Just good phil..thanks for the advice..

Eddie
11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Wow ... whatever happened yesterday night was just amazing...I just put the lily with Half the height of the tank and when i woke up today its reached the top...that was fast (Maybe it is the Substrate or it could be light Excel dosage)..Tank height is nearly 80cm..

The second shoot is coming up (reach 3/4th of the height as of now).. This is interesting..and it is good to see the discus just swirls in between the shoots...Just good phil..thanks for the advice..

Any pictures of the lily in the tank? I've thought about using them in the past but wasnt too sure. I'd like to see the effect. ;)

Thanks

Eddie

smiley
11-25-2009, 09:29 AM
sure eddie...lemme get home...

Apistomaster
11-26-2009, 02:45 AM
The Nymphea dwarf tropical lilies are excellent Discus tank plants.
I like to keep most of the floaters pruned and have larger submersed leaves but sometimes the floating leaves are more useful in providing shaded cover.