PDA

View Full Version : What are you thankful for?

David Rose
11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Another year and another Thanksgiving celebration is upon us and I for one started preparing yesterday given I am the one doing the cooking and family and friends will be coming later today and be visiting through to the weekend.

First off...yes, I cook and I’m thankful I learned not to burn everything over the years… LOL! In fact, I had no choice but to learn having being single most of my life and moving around so it's either learn, do "take out" , go to family or friends, restaurants or do something microwavable when it comes to cooking, which was the usual for me. It’s all good and this year I started as early as yesterday with the final shopping and last night I started making dips, veggie & cheese trays, apple, pumpkin, and pecan pies and today I’m prepping the favorites like sausage apple stuffing, cornbread stuffing, coleslaw, Asiago cheese scalloped potatoes, baked beans, string bean casserole to name a few. If all goes well, I will only need to prep the turkey tomorrow and bake, bake, bake. The funny part of this prep that I should mention is that my oven bottom heating element stopped working, so I am so thankful for FedEx express delivery given the replacement is due sometime today. If not, I will use my two portable roaster ovens and am determined to pull this off knowing I’ve faced worse over the years, so this will be a breeze.

There really are a lot of other things I'm thankful this past year and finding the Simply Discus forum is on top of the list. Thanks to Al, all the Admin and Moderators and those folks that have helped me along the way getting back into hobby in keeping Discus; especially, folks like Eddie, Chad, Paul, Connie, Barb and Martha!

To all those of you celebrating this Thanksgiving holiday traveling, enjoying time with family, friends, or doing something special to relax, I hope it's a safe and joyous time!

Chad Hughes
11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
David,

Great thread! I was thinking of posting something similar.

Ever year around this time I really take inventory of all the good things in my life. Family and friends are at the top of the list. I am especially thankful this year for tose of you who have become my electronic friends through this forum. There are too many to list, honestly. I have also had the pleasure of making friends with a few of you in person which has really been a joy. It's amazing how technology and someone like Al with an idea like this forum can bring people together. I give thanks for that.

My health and the health of my family is also a big one to give thanks for. We've had a great year and all of us are doing very well. Yes, I had an appendicectomy, but it was minor. I drove myself to the hospital and 6 hours later I drove home. I give thanks for modern medical technology.

I could continue to list many other things that I am thankful for, as I am sure that most of you could as well. It's the things that we are thankful for that make life worth while. Thanks for posting this David! I'm anxious to hear from others what they are thankful for as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best wishes!

brewmaster15
11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm thankful for many things as well... I have a wonderful wife and the two greatest kids in the world... 3 Awesome cats to guard the fishroom from hobbyists predators;).... many good friends, a roof over my head, and plenty to eat.

I'm also thankful for this forum...Its given me the chance to make some really good friends... not just locally but around the world. Its opened my eyes to bigger world....and more than one way of looking at things.

I'm also thankful for those that make this forum possible.. Foremost is my partner Ryan Smith who slaves behind the scenes here, and my fellow admin Paul for the countless times of support and advice, and all our moderators.... they don't come any better than you all. I'm thankful that we have sponsors here that contribute to the forum in many ways and help fund it,really making it possible to keep it online.... and I am extremely thankful to all of you that have personally contributed funds to Simplydiscus...you all may not have any idea how much all this means to me and I really can't word it well......but I can tell you...it means alot!

Thanks for loggin in here as you all do and for being part of our community...

Please everyone have a safe and Happy Thankgiving.

Sincerely,
al

William Palumbo
11-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I am grateful and thankful for everything I have and everyone who has touched my life, who has made it possible, to get me where I am at 43 yeas into my life...Bill

tpastrana
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi All,

I have been a Simply member for a few years now and I very rarely post. I am more of a sit back and watch person. I read the threads and take as much info as I can. Every once in a while I get the courage to say something. This being one of them. I would like to say Thank you to all the simply members for this great forum. There have been some times where some people have been a bit much in my opinion but when it really comes down to it, everyone is really here to educate and help others. I truly believe that. I also am very greatful for my health, I am now cancer free 10 years and still counting. I started this fish hobby when I first was diagnosed and it is and has been my savior. As funny as this may sound, but I find cleaning my tank to be very soothing and relaxing. When I have a hard day at work I normally start thinking about cleaning my tank or filters or somthing of that nature to keep the stress level at a minimum. I appreciate life and just the little things. I love this time of year, it brings family and friends together. The most important part..
Simply Members Have a safe and Happy holiday !!!:)

Disgirl
11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Good idea David! Gee, you are quiet the cook I see! Hope you and your family have a great day and lots of good eating. I hope they will clean up for you since you are doing so much cooking:D! I also am very thankful for my family, my health and all my many pets (4 indoor cats, Koi, Goldfish and frogs in ponds, and all my indoor fish). And this forum is just great to be a part of, so glad I Googled discus forums last Spring and found SD. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
Barb :)

mkv
11-25-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm thankful for my family, friends and all the people that has touched our lives one way or another.
I'm thankful for the roof we live under, the food we have and the laughter of my kids.
But more importantly, I'm hoping that those who are not so lucky will find the answer to their needs and that I will have the opportunity to touch their lives and share my fortune with them.
Happy thanksgiving to all of you.

Organic Farmer
11-25-2009, 07:23 PM
All of the above....And this Forum

Scribbles
11-26-2009, 04:38 AM
Great thread David!

I'm thankful for so many things on a daily basis but first and foremost is family and friends. I am thankful for the doctors and medical miracles that have repeatedly saved my brother's life. I'm grateful for my fish, cat, cockatiels who sing so beautifully, and dogs especialy Max my big goon who makes me laugh every day. I'm thankful to have a roof over my head and plenty to eat. I'm thankful that I can still see my beautiful discus. I'm grateful that I live in such a beautiful area with clean air, green trees,snowy mountains, and a sky that sometimes is the most incredible shade of blue that it seems almost unreal. I'm thankful that I found Simply Discus and all of the wonderful people here. Last but not least I'm thankful to have the freedoms that come with living here.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!

Chris

GrillMaster
11-26-2009, 10:52 AM
I am thankful for waking up each day! Thankful for my wife and family, kids and grandkids who will be spending the day and night here. Thankful that I am still able to put food on the table for everyone. :)

I am thankful for the friends I have met in my life and on this forum. :thumbsup:

Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

scottthomas
11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I too am thankful for my family, friends, and health. Also, thanks go out to all of those who serve our country in the military at this time of year. You know most people on Simply have a lot to be thankful for if they have so few problems that they can spend money and time on our fish!

frenchie100
11-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I can't even begin to try to break down everything I am thankful for, but in a nutshell I am thankful for my husband, my two kids, my great pets, my family's health and this forum for opening my eyes to the great world of discus keeping including all the great people in it! :D ( Wow! that is one long sentence, LOL)

Take care everyone,
Julie :)

GrillMaster
11-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Another thing I am thankful for is bein up cleaning the house at 12:30AM and bein on here at the same time while everyone else is sawin logs!! :D

Should have everything all cleaned up by 3:00. :thumbsup:

Eddie
11-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving! Mine was yesterday as Japan is one day ahead.

I am extremely thankful for my lovely family, my friends and for life I have. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Take care everyone and hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Eddie

MSD
11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Thankful for my wife and kids, having our health, home and jobs to support our lifestyle. God has been good to us all.