PDA

View Full Version : They arrived!!! Thanks April.

traco
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
So I got six gorgeous discus from April today!:D They are settling into my 55 gallon whilst I type. No lights on yet to give them time to rest but beautiful size and even with just the room lights on .... their color looks awesome!!!

Isn't it the way ... I was going to put them in my 65 gallon instead of the 55 but after a year of growing out my calico longfin BN plecos, they finally spawned. No way I wanted to move Dad pleco to a new tank so took all the gravel out of the 55 and the discus are in there for now. In a month, I'll switch the tanks and they shall have more swimming room but for now, bare bottom tank, some anubias and them. Temp is 84 which I think should be fine, will bump up if needed. I shall post pics after they settle in for a couple of days.

Thank you April.:sun:

lenjaisb
11-25-2009, 11:24 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

April
11-25-2009, 11:39 PM
glad they made it barb..but they didnt have to swim far. lol. barb got some high body turks, carnations , forrest red turk and forrest red snake.

rickztahone
11-25-2009, 11:43 PM
glad they made it barb..but they didnt have to swim far. lol. barb got some high body turks, carnations , forrest red turk and forrest red snake.

wow, great choices. can't wait to see the pics. i also have those strains and i must say they grow incredibly quick. good luck with these, and please post pics whenever you have time.

Rod
11-25-2009, 11:55 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

lol, thats a classic.

ah, some of my favourite types.

So I got six gorgeous discus from April today!:D They are settling into my 55 gallon whilst I type. No lights on yet to give them time to rest but beautiful size and even with just the room lights on .... their color looks awesome!!!

Isn't it the way ... I was going to put them in my 65 gallon instead of the 55 but after a year of growing out my calico longfin BN plecos, they finally spawned. No way I wanted to move Dad pleco to a new tank so took all the gravel out of the 55 and the discus are in there for now. In a month, I'll switch the tanks and they shall have more swimming room but for now, bare bottom tank, some anubias and them. Temp is 84 which I think should be fine, will bump up if needed. I shall post pics after they settle in for a couple of days.

Thank you April.:sun:

Nice one Barb, can't wait to see the pics. :)

Scribbles
11-26-2009, 03:49 AM
That should be a beautiful group. Can't wait for pictures.

Chris

Apistomaster
11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Now that your bushy Nose Plecos have spawned they will produce a new brood almost every month so I would move them to a 15 or 20 gal long for breeding. Just one pair can actually be bred in only a 10 gal tank.
I raise a lot of pleco species and I keep colonies sized from 5 to 7 of the smaller species(>4 inches Total length) in 20 longs. My largest species is Hypancistrus sp L333 and they are about 4 inches. I keep that group of 7 in a 40 gal breeder. I have nearly 100 L333 juveniles 1-1/2+" still in with them and I just discovered I had two new broods of free swimming fry 1/4-3/8" long so I must remove the many larger juveniles. I leave the fry in with the breeders for a couple months by which time they are hardy enough to net safely and make room for subsequent broods.

seanyuki
11-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Barb.....those are nice discus and I was there while April was selecting them for you....enjoy them and do not forget posting pictures.