PDA

View Full Version : Final update on those 2 discus I rescued :(

Audrey-mae
11-28-2009, 10:52 PM
I made a rookie mistake. For whatever reason, I didnt put a thermometer in the tank. I was very close to putting them in my big tank with my other discus but yesterday I found them on their side nearly dead. I put them out of their misery, but I didnt touch the water when I fished them out because the net handle is quite long. When I reached in to clean the tank out today it was ice cold :( Sigh. Thank you all for your support and encouragement when I got them. I wish I had been more diligent. Lesson learned, unfortunately the hard way.

I guess now I have room to save up and get a couple of high quality discus though!

Scribbles
11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Sorry tro hear about your loss. Heaters can be so exasperating.

Chris

Jhhnn
11-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Too bad, particularly because you were so keen on taking care of them.

Check out the Eheim Jager heaters, Finnex heater controllers and ATI stick-on liquid crystal thermometers at Kensfish.com. Great combo at a reasonable price. 3-5 watts/gal is the generally recommended heater size.

I put the thermometers prominently up front, right where I feed the fish, and I can tell if the temp is in the ballpark from across the room. They're extremely accurate because of the precision manufacturing methods.

Once calibrated, I set the Jager's internal temp control to 88F-90F, use the Finnex controller to maintain a lower temp. I get backup temp control, prevent a stuck on heater from cooking the fish... which is the other big problem with heaters...

I also use these lighted & switched power strips, add labels, put 'em where I can see 'em-

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-channel-backlight-switches/dp/B0002DNUY8/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

Different style of switched power strip-

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-ULT31570-Outlet-Surge-Protector/dp/B0006HBBF0/ref=pd_sim_MI_3

I figure it's all worth it, given my attachment to the fish and their cash value...