PDA

View Full Version : MY DISCUS NEED A COLD SHOWER!

DocB
12-01-2009, 12:01 AM
55 gal tank
ammonia and nitrates at 0
ph 7.8
85 degrees
no water softener etc
planted tank 75% water change once a week
5 rummy nose tetra, a clown and 2 cory cats

and five discus:
The first week the discus were shy but soon would come to the front at feeding time, stayed pretty much in a group and all was wonderful.
Then sex and complicated relationships got in the way.The leopard and blue diamond spawned after just a few weeks in the tank. I was surprised and totally unprepared. The eggs would turn white and disappear after about two days. During this time the mating pair were VERY aggressive and territorial towards all other fish. So much that the other three discus remain hidden way back in the corner all dark and moody. No one rushes out to eat anymore. Once the eggs are gone everyone was a happy camper again.
Then more eggs, more hostility.
I moved the driftwood around to change up their space. Now the blue diamond sits rejected in the corner as the leopard and snakeskin have paired up equally demonizing the entire tank

Now to my point- I don't really have the facilities to isolate them and deal with all I should do to raise them right now (This is an office tank).
Is there anything I can do to make them quit this spawning and resulting bickering? I like all of the fish and would rather not get rid of any.
Would messing with temp (hence the cold shower reference) make them stop.
Why oh why can't we all just get along?

Disgirl
12-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Just get a small siphon tube and take out the eggs as soon as they are deposited. Hopefully all will get back to normal sooner that way and they may just give up eventually since their eggs always get removed. Just an idea.
Barb:)

smiley
12-04-2009, 07:08 AM
or send me ur fishes..i am dying to breed some :D

Well barb's suggestion is correct..remove the eggs and there wont be anything to fight for :)