PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Marywouters
12-01-2009, 04:27 AM
Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with my fish? http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac181/marysfototjes/Marlboro008.jpg

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac181/marysfototjes/Marlboro010.jpg

It started as tiny bumps on his body and then the white tips came on top of the bumps. You can see them on the front view picture. With the bad light you can only see one white tip in the upper half of his side. They look a bit like pus, but they don't get bigger or anything. The fish still eats and swims around normal. He is kept in water of 350 µS temp. 30° C. He has never been in another tank, or with other fish.

Please advise.

Mary

frenchie100
12-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Oh those notorious white pimples :mad:. When you do a search about this, you never really get a definite answer.

It would seem that it might be just pore secretions, but more in the form of a white head.

I was always told not to worry about them as long as the fish didn't seem stressed or wasn't scratching which would indicate that it was irritating.

By accident, I found out that salt dips gets rid of them too. Worked great for me.

It's totally up to you which way you want to take this. If it bothers you, then I would do a salt dip per the sticky instructions. If you don't mind them, then I would just leave them.

Good luck,
Julie :)

Marywouters
12-02-2009, 03:05 AM
Do you mean that they are not harmful? I hope they will go away or is that wishfull thinking?

Mary

dbfzurowski
12-02-2009, 03:20 AM
my blue diamond had those when i got him.
of curse being new to discus i panicked but
clean water made it go away.
Good luck.

jaykne
12-02-2009, 03:45 AM
I have seen that same thing on a couple of my fish, not that many though, always went away without doing anything just regular water changes and have never come back, Larry.

Marywouters
12-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Do I have to change more frequently than every other day? I keep the tanks very clean and I do a WC of 30-40% every other day. If the fish don't eat all of the food that I give them I do a smaller WC every day.

Mary

smiley
12-02-2009, 04:22 AM
I was going thru this last week. the wound got very bad as the pimple brokeout and started increasing..Just maintained water changes..and that did the trick

I have a feeling that this is due to the presence of excess salt in the tank (or accumulating salt in the tank)..I could be wrong though..

Marywouters
12-02-2009, 04:47 AM
Frenchie, Dominik, Larry and Smiley

Thanks for the info. I'll start 75% WC today and hope it is going to help. This was a beautiful fish before he got these pimples. Could he be going through puberty?

Mary

dbfzurowski
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I have a feeling that this is due to the presence of excess salt in the tank (or accumulating salt in the tank)..I could be wrong though..
maybe, mine had them when i opened the box and no response from seller(not a sponsor here)

Could he be going through puberty?
haha, try pro-active

jaykne
12-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Mary, think that is you best bet do daily water changes and clean the glass and filters if need it and see if it starts to improve, and keep us updated. I am no expert and don't know what it is, but have seen it before and never caused and problems just went away and have not seen it again, Larry