PDA

View Full Version : Weve got eggs!

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 03:55 PM
So, the shaking from yesterday was app a good thing. There are about 100 eggs on the back of the log in my tank. I currently have a few harlequins and 6 cory cats. Should I remove them in case the eggs make it? what should I do temp pH lighting etc?I am also not sure how long it should take them to hatch (if they are fertilized)

Im so excited lol

Thanks
~singin4cnu

kaceyo
12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I would leave them there. It will do them good to defend their eggs from their tankmates. You can also take time to varify that they are male and female. Then, if you're interested in breeding them, set up a breeder tank.

Kacey

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I witnessed the end of their "ritual" when I got home. All that was left was the female (still had the tube down) fanning the eggs and the other nearly vertical rubbing its underside along the row of eggs. The female has been diligently blowing and fanning over the eggs. No tube has shown on the other. Not sure exactly how to tell unless I wait and see if they hatch but any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
~singin4cnu

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Here is a pic of mama and her eggs

DavidC
12-03-2009, 05:29 PM
great job, and well done on the picture!

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm out for a little bit. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the temp, water changes, lights, etc. plz let me know! I wanna do everything I can to help these two get it right.

Also, there is gravel in the tank right now. Will they run into problems losing babies into the gravel?
Thanks!
~Singin4cnu

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Both are diligently guarding and cleaning. Any suggestions to the above questions?

Eddie
12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm out for a little bit. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do with the temp, water changes, lights, etc. plz let me know! I wanna do everything I can to help these two get it right.

Also, there is gravel in the tank right now. Will they run into problems losing babies into the gravel?
Thanks!
~Singin4cnu

I wouldnt do anything different than what you do regularly. Many times someone changes something and it ends up causing problems. If anything, a dim light 24/7 so they can watch the eggs and tend to the wrigglers/fry. Are there other fish in the tank? Also, gravel or not, there have been people who had successful spawns in gravel/planted tanks. I would just hold out and let them do their thing in this tank for now and if they are mature enough and the eggs do get to wriggler stage, maybe move them to a breeding tank...but only if that is your goal. Something else to think about is that these 2 types are one of the bad combinations. Pigeons and blues will give you Dirty Birds, or heavily peppered pigeons. Its not a good cross to devote the time to.

HTH

Eddie

Singin4Cnu
12-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I removed the harlequins from the tank. There are currently 6 cory cats still in there with them. What should the eggs look like after 24 hours if the have been fertilized?

Eddie
12-03-2009, 11:49 PM
I removed the harlequins from the tank. There are currently 6 cory cats still in there with them. What should the eggs look like after 24 hours if the have been fertilized?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=26679

Singin4Cnu
12-04-2009, 12:40 AM
How about what to do with the cory cats? Also, it seems the eggs will turn white if not fertilized, when will this happen (I have no whites as of this time)if this is true?

I put a reg light from a ten gallon over the corner they are in and it seems to be what they needed.

Singin4Cnu
12-04-2009, 11:08 PM
It would seem as thought the eggs did not get fertilized, they are slowly turning white and they seem to be eating the white ones. I'm going to add a few more discus next week to try and break the egg laying for now and maybe she'll try again in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Eddie
12-05-2009, 02:22 AM
It would seem as thought the eggs did not get fertilized, they are slowly turning white and they seem to be eating the white ones. I'm going to add a few more discus next week to try and break the egg laying for now and maybe she'll try again in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Make sure you QT the new ones! Alot....I mean ALOT of people are dealing with outbreaks at the moment. Ensure the QT tank is no where near the same ROOM as the current tank. All different equipment and sterilize your hands before going back and forth. ;)

Eddie

David Rose
12-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Watch for white fungus forming on eggs as well. You may want to have some formalin or methylene blue on hand to use as a precautionary measure.

Singin4Cnu
12-05-2009, 11:53 AM
So on a side note, upon researching around it would seem that all the fish I have owned are Hans Discus. All the shops I trust are on their Virginia list!
Who knew lol

ps most of them claim to be getting the fish "from Germany". Is this true or are they most likely from the Baltimore location?

~Singin4cnu