PDA

View Full Version : Non-Albinos in a Planted Tank?

Yassmeena
12-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey all,

What are your experiences with non-albino fish in a planted tank? What strains look best?

I have albinos in my planted tank, and am thinking of adding non-albinos. But in my older tank my non-albinos experienced some darkening when I added substrate. My RGDs darkened quite a bit I remember.

But I kinda want eruption leopards. :D

Thanks!

Yasmin

ChloroPhil
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Yasmin,

I'd go with the fish you want rather than let someone else tell you what looks good. In the past there weren't as many color choices among plants are there are now. It's very easy to find a mixture of plant species that have coloration which will compliment your fish rather than "having" to choose fish whose coloration compliments the plants.

$0.02,
Phil

Eddie
12-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey all,

What are your experiences with non-albino fish in a planted tank? What strains look best?

I have albinos in my planted tank, and am thinking of adding non-albinos. But in my older tank my non-albinos experienced some darkening when I added substrate. My RGDs darkened quite a bit I remember.

But I kinda want eruption leopards. :D

Thanks!

Yasmin

Hey there Yas, long time! Eruptions Leopards would look great I think. I guess it will really be dependent on the substrate. If you use silica sand, most fish wont display too much darkening. I think you'll be fine. ;)

Eddie

William Palumbo
12-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Most red Discus look good because they compliment the green color of the plants. To me, Wilds look the best in planted tanks...Bill

Discus-Hans
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
To me, Wilds look the best in planted tanks...Bill

I'm with Bill on this one. A planted tank with say Pigeon bloods, Marlboro's, blue Diamonds, or even worse Albino's won't do it for me.
You try to created a piece of nature with the plants, so put Discus in there that will make that piece of nature complete, Alenquers, Santarem, Stendker Tefe's, red turks or maybe brilliants (both kind of Royal Blue's) or if you want to make the step, a bunch of wilds,

Hans

DiscusFreakaZoid
12-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Try this Heckel. its color and pattern would surely compliment the plants and vice a versa.

ps i am very obsessed with this heckel.:alien: Ive been tryin to find one like this but no luck

Yassmeena
12-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Hey there Yas, long time! Eruptions Leopards would look great I think. I guess it will really be dependent on the substrate. If you use silica sand, most fish wont display too much darkening. I think you'll be fine. ;)

Eddie

Hi Eddie - I know, I dropped of the face of the planet! :p:p

I hope all's well with you - I've been keeping up with some of your posts. Nice breeding work! ;)

I do hae silica sand, so that's great to hear!

Yasmin

Most red Discus look good because they compliment the green color of the plants. To me, Wilds look the best in planted tanks...Bill

Reds I see a lot in planted tanks. Noted! Thanks Bill.

I'm with Bill on this one. A planted tank with say Pigeon bloods, Marlboro's, blue Diamonds, or even worse Albino's won't do it for me.
You try to created a piece of nature with the plants, so put Discus in there that will make that piece of nature complete, Alenquers, Santarem, Stendker Tefe's, red turks or maybe brilliants (both kind of Royal Blue's) or if you want to make the step, a bunch of wilds,

Hans

"even worse albinos?" I see your point. Honestly - I have never seen a wild in person.

Try this Heckel. its color and pattern would surely compliment the plants and vice a versa.

ps i am very obsessed with this heckel.:alien: Ive been tryin to find one like this but no luck

lol... I want that heckel now too!

Wahter
12-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I like the blue diamonds within this planted tank, setup by Jeffrey Senske:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=258&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=141

Walter

Yassmeena
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=141

Walter

Thanks Walter - that is really beautiful. The link didn't go straight to his tank but I found him under the x-tra large tank entries. Beautiful sword scape!

Wahter
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks Walter - that is really beautiful. The link didn't go straight to his tank but I found him under the x-tra large tank entries. Beautiful sword scape!

I think the link will work now.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi?&Scale=258&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=141

Walter

rickztahone
12-05-2009, 03:15 PM

Walter
i'm surprised he is using 10k lights, it looks beautiful. When i had 10k's it felt like it made my discus look un-natural.

GlennR
12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
It seems to me that any beautiful Discus would look great with plants. No?

ChloroPhil
12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Glenn,

I think it's all up to the taste of the aquarist and the plants kept. There are enough red plants available these days to go well with red discus. In general though, blue/green based discus go better with most plants and reds generally go better in mostly red tanks. But again, beauty's in the eye of the beer holder.

~Phil

Yassmeena
12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
It seems to me that any beautiful Discus would look great with plants. No?

Glenn,

I think it's all up to the taste of the aquarist and the plants kept. There are enough red plants available these days to go well with red discus. In general though, blue/green based discus go better with most plants and reds generally go better in mostly red tanks. But again, beauty's in the eye of the beer holder.

~Phil

Sorry for not being more clear, but I was concerned about the substrate more than the plants themselves.

Some strains of discus darken in one form or another when they are in a tank that has substrate. For example, I had RGDs that were BEAUTIFUL in my BB and when I put them in my planted they got daaaaaark! I can't remember if I was using silica sand though...

I have a tank that is now full of albinos and I love them, but sometimes I miss vivid discus colors - you guys know what I mean!!!!! :D:D

So now I am trying to figure out what non-albino strains won't darken bc I really like discus colors to pop! For example, my albinos are almost glow in the dark, it's kinda cool... But their colors don't get for example a deep red against an electric blue like a eruption leopard, or intense spotting like a penang eruption........

Can anyone relate?

Eddie
12-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I know what your saying Yas! ;)

Another type you may enjoy is a carnation turquoise. The white sand substrate is what matters and also the different ornamentation in the tank. If you have alot of driftwood, they may darken when up against the wood.

All the best,

Eddie

Yassmeena
12-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I know what your saying Yas! ;)

Another type you may enjoy is a carnation turquoise. The white sand substrate is what matters and also the different ornamentation in the tank. If you have alot of driftwood, they may darken when up against the wood.

All the best,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie! I know you hear me! :)

Yasmin

csarkar001
12-10-2009, 11:45 PM
where have you been yasmeena?

Yassmeena
12-11-2009, 12:14 AM
where have you been yasmeena?

the abyss called dental school... :D

rickztahone
12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
i agree with Eddie about the turks. while they can get dark some lighter substrate should keep them from becoming waaay dark, but then again that might hold true for a lot of other hybrids :confused:

csarkar001
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
the abyss called dental school... :D

well, glad to have you back. ;)

ChloroPhil
12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Give us a smile! :D

Yassmeena
12-12-2009, 12:42 AM
well, glad to have you back. ;)

Thanks! :)

Give us a smile! :D