PDA

View Full Version : should i get tankmates ?

shappers
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
had 2 adult paired discus in a tank for a week
new to discus keeping - and they keep getting spooked by the silliest things (this afternoon they flipped out when i put a vacuum cleaner on in the same room!!)
was thinking of getting them a couple of rams as tankmates - is this a good idea if they're spooked - will it distract them and help them settle - or make things worse?!

smiley
12-05-2009, 03:36 PM
I feel tankmates for discus are always good (especially schooling fishes) coz they tend to let your discus know that the area is clear and there is nothing to worry about...once again it all depends on your tank size ( if you can actually accomodate more fishes in there)

shappers
12-05-2009, 03:47 PM
i love rummy nose tetras and hear they're good tankmates - just worried they'll end up as lunch

fishorama
12-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I strongly suggest you quarantine any new fish for at least a month

rich815
12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
i love rummy nose tetras and hear they're good tankmates - just worried they'll end up as lunch

Of course I hear small tetras get eaten by discus sometimes but I have my 7 discus (ranging in size from 3.5" to 6") in my 72 gal tank and they live quite peacefully with 15 cardinals, 6 rummies, 10 golden tetras and 4 red phantom tetras. I do have a planted tank so lots of places for the little ones to go if needed but I've never seen a discus chase any of them. And they school about, in the open, wherever, and do not seem concerned about the big ol' discus nearby....cardinals and discus look really cool in the same tanks!

Jhhnn
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Sometimes it takes awhile for fish to settle in. I'd watch their water parameters closely, also spend a fair amount of time in the same room with them, make them eat out my hand. My fish are less jittery if I add some salt to their tank- not much, as little as 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons seems to have a calming effect.

Moving also stresses them, makes them more vulnerable to any sort of parasite or infection that they may have harbored at a low level. so watch 'em carefully, see if they're breathing fast at rest, scratching, keeping one gill closed, or if their poop is white...

Larger tetras are good companions, less likely to become snacks than smaller ones. One of my fellow local enthusiasts keeps lemon tetras in a heavily planted 125gal tank w/ discus- they reproduce like crazy. He also keeps rummies, corys, bushnoses and I don't know what else in there, too...

Quarantine of new fish is a must, particularly those from local LFS. Know that you're lucky if you have access to a good one...

mmorris
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Four isn't a good number - I recommend a minimum of six and dither fish are, IMO, no substitute. How big is your tank and is it planted/substrate?

exv152
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Larger tetras are good companions, less likely to become snacks than smaller ones. One of my fellow local enthusiasts keeps lemon tetras in a heavily planted 125gal tank w/ discus- they reproduce like crazy. He also keeps rummies, corys, bushnoses and I don't know what else in there, too.

I have four discus in a tank with a large school of lemon tetras (18-20) in a 75 gal heavily planted tank and they thrive. The lemons seem to reproduce like wildfire, especially when the pH is low, around 6.2, and the plants provide great hiding places for the fry. Makes for a very harmonious community tank.