PDA

View Full Version : difussing current

tcmemphisbbq
12-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Its my understanding discus like lower currents, I have a vertical spray bar on one end of my tank which seems to put out pretty good flow around a corner, I find the fish grouping in front of it sometimes almost like they are enjoying being in it, then they will slide back and let the next "Take the ride" lol -

Im wondering though if I have too much current and wondering if anyone has any DIY tips on diffusing it...

Jhhnn
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Seems to me that if the current were stronger than what they liked, the fish would avoid it entirely. As it is, they're playing around, having a good time with it...

DiscusFreakaZoid
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
wanted to know the same thing. i thought the vertical spray bar would have less flow than having a nozzle with a big hole shooting out water.

DavidC
12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
i use the robotic arms with a "y" and 2 spray "fan" like tips... same movement but no direct flow

Jhhnn
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
In my canister filter BB tank, I have the discharge tube pointing straight down into a back corner, which dissipates the current across the bottom of the tank, sweeping detritus to the opposite end. It creates laminar flow.

With spraybars, boring out the holes somewhat will reduce the force of each jet, maybe even increase total flow with less turbulence... The spraybar can be arranged in a tank corner with spray directed into the corner of the tank to reduce current, too...

kush
12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
In my canister filter BB tank, I have the discharge tube pointing straight down into a back corner, which dissipates the current across the bottom of the tank, sweeping detritus to the opposite end.....

Me, too. I can't take credit for being smart enough to realize what would happen, but it sweeps all the uneaten food, feces, etc. into a neat little pile on the far side of the tank. One schlurp of the siphon and its all cleaned up.

tcmemphisbbq
12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
i'll try to catch a pic or video of them playing in it, pretty cool to watch cause 6 or 8 of them will all school together in it sometimes..

ihor
12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I had the same problem. I drilled extra holes in the spray bar, some at 45 degree angle from the original holes. The more holes, the less forceful the current from each. Also try drilling a hole in the end of the spray bar.

fishorama
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I think my juvies are liking some current or at least not bothered by it. Sat. I did a wipe down, filter rinse & 50% water change but there was quite a bit of fine particulates after. So I added a powerhead with a quick filter to help remove them. I was only going to run it for an hour or 2 but the discus were hanging around in the flow begging. I have the PH set for lowest flow in a front corner aimed straight back. It ruffles their dorsals & the smallest have to work a little harder but they don't need to move away to a calmer area.

rich815
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I have a 72 gal planted community tank with 7 discus. I have two canisters with their spray bars in there (an Eheim 2028 and a Rena XP3). One spray bar is on the left side of the tank blowing to the right. The other spray bar in the middle back blowing to the front of the tank. Further, I have a Koralia 2 powerhead in the front left corner pointing to the right diffusing CO2 from a mister placed below and a Koralia 1 in the backl left pointed to the right corner helping with flow of the CO2 around the tank. No issues. My discus actually seem to like the flow and current.