PDA

View Full Version : Possibly moving to Washington, DC

David Rose
12-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Well I got an email today regarding a Business Manager position with Veteran's Affairs in Washington, DC. They actually contacted me late summer and asked if I would consider this position and presented a great initial offer should they move forward with the position. I thought the position fell through given it is now December, but like a lot of government agencies they are not always fast-moving in their decision process. So here it is December 6 and they want me to start January 2, 2010....again...once the position is finally approved.

I have mixed feelings about making this transition given I wanted to be away from city life and closer to my parents now they are getting up in years and two hours away is better than four. That said, it would be another great opportunity in my career, but it comes with a lot of tough choices and sacrifices as well as rewards and benefits to my family; especially, having left my previous position in late January 2009 and have been consulting since.

If this does happen, I will be bi-locational working during the week there and back to Harrisburg on the weekends, holidays etc. At least that's the plan for now.

Say a prayer, cross your fingers, toes, fins whatever you wish because it will probably be the last minute before I know, have to be ready to change gears, and be up and running in DC.

PS: Chad...I really feel for ya brother!

Regards,

Scribbles
12-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait. Sounds like the government. Best of luck David. I hope that it all works out for you and your family.

Chris

ifixoldhouses
12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I lived in Washington for 6 years, and its a cool place but the traffic suxxxxx, and that was in 1987 lol.

David Rose
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I lived in Washington for 6 years, and its a cool place but the traffic suxxxxx, and that was in 1987 lol.

Yeah traffic...(gulp)....dont' miss that at all, but I do miss the restaurants and cultural attractions. My townhouse is in Alexandria and even then though it's only six miles away, it easily could take two hours to get home from downtown DC.

Wahter
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah traffic...(gulp)....dont' miss that at all, but I do miss the restaurants and cultural attractions. My townhouse is in Alexandria and even then though it's only six miles away, it easily could take two hours to get home from downtown DC.

Don't forget Discus Hans and Peter Thode are in the Baltimore area - so once you get setup again, there's good discus to be had! :D:D:D

Walter