PDA

View Full Version : Domestic rsg breeding with a blue fine line ss

m.ingram
12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I was just wondering what i would get out of these two colours Domestic rsg and a blue fine line ss.
They keep laying but i let the eggs get eaten ,so i was wondering if these would be a good match .
Cheers Mark:)

Jhhnn
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm a bit surprised that somebody with experience hasn't chimed in on this...

Taking a guess, I think there would be a lot of variation in the offspring, with a lot of fish along the lines of red spotted turqs and maybe 25% or so being snakeskins of some shade or another... also some throwbacks of sorts- all discus carry wild genes, and crossing dissimilar strains would bring them out, I suspect.

Totally guessing here... There's only one way to find out for sure...

m.ingram
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reply .
I just wanted to know if i was going to be wasting my time raising fry from this match .But now i think i will let them breed and see what i get.
Cheers Mark

akumastew
12-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Mark

I would guess you would have gotten more input from the folks in the breeding section.

There is a fair amount of discussion there on different crosses, and genetics.

- Stew

m.ingram
12-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks Stew
I might have to repost my question their then .
Cheers Mark

mmorris
12-10-2009, 10:18 AM
A problem with mixing is that in order to find out what you get, you have to have the facilities to grow them out to a good size. Otherwise, you will have to sell them as a cross and people are often resistant to buying a cross. They want to know what they are going to get too! The snakeskins will be easy to pick out though.

m.ingram
12-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks mmorris
I agree with you . Thats why i was asking the question as i dont want a cross that is going to produce really ugly babies.I do plan on growing them out as i want to see what their colors turn out like.
I have a 40g and a 75g tank spare so these should be large enough for grow out tanks .
Cheers Mark