PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Pump Infor request!

brewmaster15
12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi all,
A friend gave me a tall cylindrical water storage tank.... its 125 gals, 6 foot tall ...Nice tank...but now I need to figure out the plumbing.....I'm thinking external pump.... I need to be able to move the water at least 6 feet high for water changes and of course, don't want to pay a mint for it....so whats availible? what would you use or do you use in a similar situation?

Thanks,
al

GEM
12-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I would use a mag-drive pump and put it rite in the tank.I think they are priced rite.

David Rose
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Al,

My storage tank is about six feet tall. I found that the mag drive had more flow installed in-line with the bulkhead mounted at the bottom rather than submersed given I tried it both ways. I have the Mag18 with about 14' of head. The chart found on Dr. Fosters and Smith may be of help. Please note that the actual paperwork that came with it rated the Mag18 to have less flow than the chart on Dr F&S site. I get approx. 500gph with head at 14' or feet, which is plenty for my needs. Just keep this in mind if you look at the chart per the link below:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4590

That said, I would think the Mag 9.5 would be sufficient and lists for around $89.99 just as an FYI.

I use one for my water storage barrel and have the same for my wet/dry sump, which is located in my living room. They're quiet!

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac51/dlr1961_photos/20091010001.jpg

PS: there's always the SD benefit following the link at the top banner ....LOL ;)

ChloroPhil
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd go with a Mag as well. They're strong and cheap, if you don't mind the noise it'll make. One thing I'd to would be to make a T junction near the pump outlet and rig it so the pump will pump up and dump water back into the tank for circulation and oxygenation. The other side of the T would be rigged with a hose connector to allow you to pump water into your fish tanks quickly. Add a couple ball valves to control flow and you're golden.

Regards,
Phil

Chad Hughes
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi all,
A friend gave me a tall cylindrical water storage tank.... its 125 gals, 6 foot tall ...Nice tank...but now I need to figure out the plumbing.....I'm thinking external pump.... I need to be able to move the water at least 6 feet high for water changes and of course, don't want to pay a mint for it....so whats availible? what would you use or do you use in a similar situation?

Thanks,
al

Al,

I use a spa pump for water storage tank water transfer. I scored mine off Ebay about two years ago for $60. It works great for circulating water inside the tank as well as transferring. Mine will lift 10' without flinching!

Hope that helps!

brewmaster15
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey thanks Guys, you've given me some food for thought here...now to digest!:)

-al

PS: there's always the SD benefit following the link at the top banner ....LOL LOL!!! :)

DiscusOnly
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
You may want to look at the little giant inline pump.

tcyiu
12-10-2009, 04:10 AM
I'd go with a Mag as well. They're strong and cheap, if you don't mind the noise it'll make.
Regards,
Phil

What would you consider to be the quietest. I bought an Eheim 1260 on the company's reputation and my own experience with their classic canister filter which I love.

But the pump hums so loud that that half of the house vibrates. I now use it only for water changes. I would still love to find a truly quiet pump for when I want to set up the wet/dry again.

Tim

jeff@zina.com
12-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Quiet is relative I guess, but the Mag drive pumps are really quiet. I can't hear the pump at all, bubbles in the filters are louder. Some of this also depends on sound isolation for the pump mounting, mine sits on a concrete floor with no vibration but if I put it on a shelf of 1/4" plywood it would probably echo through the house.

Jeff

DHavens
12-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Velocity are almost indestructible and easy to fix....they do run warm though bit have protection.....Blue line, Iwaki, Gen-x, coral life...all good pumps...any that are magnetic drive work good.

Jhhnn
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't understand the 6' reference- is that from the floor or the top of the tank? If it's from the floor, then a mag 9.5 would do extremely well, provided that 3/4" piping is used. I use them (submerged) to pump at 10.5 ft head. At 12.5', they're miserable, though, as output drops off sharply. Running submerged was the easy answer for me, and cheaper, because I don't need valves when and if pump service is needed.

Depending on your situation, the flexible pvc tubing from the irrigation section at homecenters works well for permanent runs of pipe. Uses standard glue fittings, needs to be warmed up in the sun or a warm oven to make it workable. For rigid pvc, the sweep bends in the electrical section improve delivery over the usual sharp bends in the plumbing section. Same stuff, just grey rather than white.

Never hurts to wrap the barrel in insulation, sit it on a piece of white styro if it's on a concrete floor...

If you're in no hurry, Craigslist can be a great resource, given the usual caveats... I'm sure you know that, just a reminder...

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Wow I missed this thread somehow! The pump you need is going to be dependent not only on how high it needs to pump, but also how far the water needs to go, diameter of the hose/piping used, and the kind of volume you're looking for. I would look on Ebay for something used since it'll only be used for water transfer. More info and I could give you a better recommendation.

-Ryan

moik
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I would use a magdrive pump also,,external mounted..One thing I have done was raise the tank off the floor a little higher than a standard 5 gal.bucket height..Just incase you need to just use a bucket or 2 of water,instead of sewtting up the pump...A little easier in my mind..Plus do not hard pipe the pump in case you accidentally hit it,,upon breaking the hard pipe connection you will have a mess on your hands...Put a peice of flexiable tubing for the connection beteen tank and pump...I have Magdrive 9.5 and pump water up 6 of head with no problems..