PDA

View Full Version : Buying Discus!

Bela
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I just finished a fishless cycle of my tank and am now ready to jump in and buy stock. Yay! The cycling took 5 weeks, but FELT like it took forever. I'm getting in touch with Discus Madness (NJ, I live in NYC) and hope to take a trip out to see what Mathias has going this weekend. Thanks for all the good advice here when I was getting the setup going. Will touch base soon with fishy news. - KW

Finatic
12-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I was just on the same timeline, and just today received my discus from Mike at Central Ohio Discus (check out his thread in the sponsor area).

I would highly recommend him. The fish are great, his prices beyond reasonable and the effort he put into shipping them to arrive safely was phenomenal.

Check him out, and good luck with your new tank!

JimG817
12-08-2009, 01:07 PM
i would also highly recommend Mike I purchased 17 discus from him for my 215 and they all started eating with in hours of arrival and acclimation.

Bela
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks to you both! I'll probably go to Mathias because I can drive there and avoid the stress of shipping and all. Good luck with your fish! I'll look for pictures. Best, KW

csarkar001
12-08-2009, 01:27 PM
i bought my first set of discus from mathias and they turned out fairly well. some of the fancier strains he carries are kind of pricey, though.

if you live in NYC, the other two breeders you might want to check out are www.marksdiscus.com (http://www.marksdiscus.com) (brooklyn) and al sebata's shop in CT (the latter may be a bit of a drive for you but i think worth it).

Finatic
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I cant believe how good these guys are doing already. After acclimating them, they took just a few minutes to start exploring the tank, and are already coming to the glass looking for food. I am going to wait until later today to feed them, but these are the best looking fish I have seen, and I cant believe they were shipped. Even better looking that going to the LFS and bringing them home myself.

I was very nervous about buying and having fish shipped, but all of my fears were put to rest by buying from Mike.

William Palumbo
12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Bought from Mike MANY times. Never a problem with the shipping or fish. Some of those shipments were made in Chicago winter weather with no problems. I open the bags and drop them right in, by the time I am done throwing away the plastic bags and cut rubberbands, they are up front wanting food. As I said before, Mike makes it a bit TOO easy to by fish!. Enjoy them...Bill

bs6749
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I highly recommend Mike Beals as well. He has some killer deals on sub adult-adult fish right now. If I had the room I would definitely be getting some from him!