PDA

View Full Version : female laying eggs without a male.....

sthai75
12-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I was pleasantly suprised to see one of my five 4inch discus laying eggs on the back aquarium wall corner. during this session she was "quivering" periodically.She was unmistakingly doing this for I saw what looks like a skin tag coming out at where she poops and the eggs though almost the size of a grain of sand were scattered on the aquarium floor, though not that many and barely visble, where all the discus were eating includingthe mother.

The eggs were not clinging to where she was laying, is this a sign of not quite comeing of age? and my 2nd ?? is she did this apparently with out a male pairing. is this common for a female to go through the motions without a male pairing? I've got tons of stupid questions but I'll start with these.

Thanks,
Sang

William Palumbo
12-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I guess when females get ladden with eggs...they have to come out. Tho I have heard of Angels dying from being eggbound. I have had pairs with fry that I seperated from each other because of fighting for the fry, and the female would lay eggs solo. Not sure about the eggs not sticking, tho I have had that too from time to time...Bill

mmorris
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
I guess when females get ladden with eggs...they have to come out.

I thought they could reabsorb the eggs. I might be wrong.

sthai75
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
in some cases a male pairing is not needed for a female to display egg laying behavior. thanks for the input and your sharing of your experiences. I'm just excited to see any sort of breeding behavior and the fact that I have ID a female in my group just makes me happy gives me more hope towards achieving a breeding pair!! Now the question, is she not or are the males not willing to pair with her, compatibility? She has claimed one end of the tank but there is not a male that seems to be be helping her defend that area.

mmorris
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
How old are your discus?

sthai75
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
two I bought one of which is the egg layer purchased @4inches with proportional eye size had them for 3weeks. one 5.5 inch bought @2inches have had him for 16mo. other two turques one @5inches one year and the other that is stunted @4inches huge eyes is 7months.