PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Garlic Oil

mlw
12-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Bought mysis shrimp and my discus hate them. Was going to add fresh garlic oil to see if I could disguise the taste a bit. Are there any harmful side effects from adding fresh garlic oil to frozen food? I have a garlic press that releases oil first then the crushed garlic.

I take about a two tablespoons of tank water and thaw the frozen cube in it. I would be adding the garlic oil to this mix. Then I use pipettes to feed my fish so I don't put too much food in at one time.

zamboniMan
12-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I don't see why it would be a problem people use garlic cloves in their beef heart recipes. I would start by using low concentrations of garlic oil first and going from there.

Eddie
12-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Just add your mysis to a homemade mix. ;)

Eddie

mlw
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Tried the garlic mixed with brine shrimp and the mysis. Not even as scampi will they eat them. They were funny as heck. They ate the brine shrimp but spit out the mysis, heads and all. Angelfish would eat the shrimp body but not the heads. These discus are just not having it at all. Might have to smash in up in a mix so they can't differentiate what is what.

rich815
12-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Which brand of mysis? Some report various success with some brands than others. i.e., Mine like PE Mysis but take a pass at Hikari Mysis cubes....

mlw
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Which brand of mysis? Some report various success with some brands than others. i.e., Mine like PE Mysis but take a pass at Hikari Mysis cubes....

Think mine are the Hikari Brand not sure though. Will check when I get home. Nope not Hikari, San Francisco Bay brand. :( Unbeleivable that they can differentiate between brands. Down side to having smart fish. Discus are like finned versions of cats.