PDA

View Full Version : How Soon?

Finatic
12-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Well, I just received a great looking batch of 10 discus from Mike at Central Ohio Discus, and while they are looking good and coming out more, they still dont really show any interest in eating (it has been 24 hours as of this post)

also, I cant seem to get my bloodworms to sink (freeze dried). I tried soaking them first, and they still float, and all of the tetras gobble them up since they stay on top. any thoughts here as well?

I know there is a period of acclimation for the discus in their new surroundings, but what has been the communities experience with how long before the discus feel at home and want to eat? My water is good (albeit a little higher PH than Mike raises them, but I took my time acclimating them, and my PH has been very stable during the weeks I cycled the tank)

They are all swimming around and look good (although the 2 blue sapphire seem a bit more stressed than the other strains I bought).

Thanks for any feedback!

akumastew
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
It took 48 hours for my Discus to start taking food.

William Palumbo
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
First off, get some Frozen BW's, as they take that well, and that is what Mike feeds the fish. Later on you can offer different foods. My fish from Mike always ate the same day, most times within the hour. You have to offer them something they like and recognize...Bill

Finatic
12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Ill pick some up on the way home from work. I assumed that the Freeze dried would be similiar, especially since I soaked them before feeding.

Thanks for the feedback so far...

Anyone else? Just curious as to peoples experience with new discus.

mmorris
12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Is the tank cycled? What temperature is it at? Did you float the bag before releasing to equalize the temp?

MSD
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I hate freeze dried food, my fish hate freeze dried food, and if you feed them Hikari frozen bloodworms they should eat that happily. Just don't spoil them on one type of food or they'll be hard to feed other things to. I use Tetra color bits, and Angels Plus flake food, and once a day Al's excellent frozen beefheart mix. If the fish are healthy, and have not been shocked by your PH, temp. or other water parameter, they'll eat. Check your amonia and nitrites and nitrates. Don't forget water changes to keep the water safe and stable.

David Rose
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm with Bill on getting some FBW...Hikari brand if you can. No need to soak, drop the cube(s) in.

There are a lot of variables when it comes to getting discus expressed shipped, so the adjustment time can vary as well. I've had them adjust within a few hours and some that took over a week before they wanted to eat and settled in to their new home.

What temp do you have your tank at? If they don't take the FBW witin a day or two, maybe increase the temp a couple of degrees which will increase appetite.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Finatic
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Is the tank cycled? What temperature is it at? Did you float the bag before releasing to equalize the temp?

The temp is at 86 (What Mike raises his discus at) The tank is cycled (I started it back in September), everything checked out good before I ordered the discus. I started my routine of water changes about 1 week to 10 days before the discus arrived to get the tank on a cycle of how I wanted the water quality to be (20% every other day (10% every three days before that), I will gradually work in more water changes, but wanted to establish a constant water quality for my bacteria to properly cycle). I checked the water parameters after starting this routine, and everything still checked out ok.

I acclimated the fish with a slow deliberate float (gradually adding my tank water a little every few minutes) They didnt show any signs of shock once I put them in the tank. In fact they were very active when they went in, and really still are (Except the 2 Blue sapphire which seem to be the only 2 that showed any real sign of stress)

As for the fish, they are active and moving around the tank. This is a community lo-tech planted tank. During my start up, the plants have been taking well (new growth and leaves on everything in tank), the other fish (Tetras, corys and hatchet) have been doing well, and Im thinking the discus are just getting familiar to their tank mates and surroundings.

Im also going to do another water change here as soon as I get home.

Thanks again for the tips!

I will pick up frozen worms and see if that changes anything (The only reason I didnt order frozen this time is I am allergic to them. When I touch them, if I dont wash my hands immediately my eyes tear up, I sneeze and cough...not good. This happened last time I did discus about 15 years ago. The freeze dried (Hikari) are in a shaker so I didnt have to handle them)

William Palumbo
12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I am also SEVERELY allergic to them as well. Is why I use rubber gloves when handling them. They should eat them up once you feed them...Bill

Cooldadddyfunk286
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
dang, I didnt know you could be allergic to FBWs!! good thing Im not, I have terrible allergies. that sucks you guys!

asfar as the discus go...dont worry at all bro, they will start eating in no time. you got some good stock, take good care of em! ;):D

Finatic
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Success!!!

frozen bloodworms worked ( I also put my hand in and waved the worms around in front of them. They came out from behind the driftwood and started eating)

my hands itch though. Looks like I better get some gloves as well...Bah!

David Rose
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
That's great! :thumbsup:

mmorris
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Everything seems to check out - except - um - quarantine? Hopefully tomorrow you'll have something great to report. :)

Finatic
12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
They are still apprehensive, but I guess that is to be expected.

As far as quarantine, I didnt only because these are the first discus (other than a few non discus tank mates who have been in the aquarium since start and are all healthy and have gone through there quarantine phase). I understand that from here on out, any new mates will go into the quarantine tank first. I see your point that they could have gone into a bare qurantine tank for observation before introduction into the main tank.

This is a discus tank first, so I will treat it as such should any problems arise, but did I ere in putting them in my show tank? In theory, I should have had a set up where each bag of fish started out a few weeks in their own tank, as I know Mike had some of these guys in different tanks, but I was taking the course that they arrived from Mike healthy and went into a healthy tank. Maybe a slightly optimistic approach, but hopefully one that doesnt cause me problems.

Thanks again, and any and all comments suggestions welcome!

mmorris
12-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I would have put all the new fish in a quarantine tank together since they are from the same source. Sometimes the stress of shipping gives rise to problems and then you can treat them without infecting existing fish. At the same time, the existing fish may carry something they are easily resisting, being strong and healthy, whereas new discus, with resistance low from their travels, might succumb to it.

Jhhnn
12-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Hopefully, you'll do fine. For a lot of reasons, it seems to me that the best approach is to buy fish that are siblings from the same hatch, quarantine and then raise them together. Obviously, other methods work well, too.

Finatic
12-09-2009, 09:39 PM
All very valid points, and I really should have known better. Hopefully I dodge any major issues to due to my rustyness :(

On a positive note, the discus are very active, except when I try to feed them they hide and their tankmates eat all of the food. I dont want to give them FBW at every eating so trying to mix things up, but I may be pressing it a bit early.

Thanks again!

mmorris
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
So remove the tankmates. :)

Larry Bugg
12-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Success!!!
my hands itch though. Looks like I better get some gloves as well...Bah!

Get the gloves!!! I went from mild allergic reaction to severe. Had to go to the doctor and get on some heavy stuff to clear it up. I now wear gloves. Funny thing the SF brand doesn't have the same reaction as the Hikari, but my fish don't really like the SF brand.

Finatic
12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
So remove the tankmates. :)

I have already been debating this...

Kind of waiting to see how this plays out, but if the tankmates are spooking or too agressive to the food for the discus, they will have to go.