PDA

View Full Version : White worms?

GlennR
12-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I used to keep discus and fed live white worms. Do folks still feed them or are other types better for some reason?

Eddie
12-11-2009, 04:53 AM
I used to keep discus and fed live white worms. Do folks still feed them or are other types better for some reason?

Some people use them. Contact White Worm if you want some. I think he may still have some cultures avail.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=64135&page=7

Eddie

acroken
12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Glenn,
I culture white worms mostly for juveniles and pairs which i feed 2x weekly. White worms are excellent for conditioning spawning pairs. They are easy to culture and non aquatic, so no chance of parasites. Extracting the worms from the bedding is easy with a screen and light into a bowl of water. Nutrition protein 70.0, fats 14.5, ash 5.5, carbohydrates 10.0. Just do not feed too often. Discus love them
Red wigglers. These worms are very easy to raise. They can be a bit difficult to extract the worms from the bedding as you only want to feed the small to mid sized worms to your fish and leave the adults, the ones with bands. They are an ok food. Moisture- 84.8%-Fat- 2.0%-Ash-0.7%-protein- 10.5%. I feed the culture any left overs, just no meat products. It takes me about 5 minutes to pull enough worms to feed a few tanks. I feed these worms every couple days. Once the discus recognize these as food they seam to develop a taste for them. I try and start young fish out on the real small worms to they get used to them. These are my second choice as live food.

Brine shrimp for fry. These are simple and affective in raising fry. Not the only way but i find them beneficial since the fry need to chase them around. Can be enhanced with vitamins and Spirulina which is good for their immune system

Micro worms for fry. I keep them going for awhile but IMO not worth the trouble.

Kenny

White Worm
12-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I have only fed the white worms. They seem to be the middle road when it comes to size compared to red wigglers or grindals. Easy and cheap to culture and the discus LOVE them.

zamboniMan
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
This is a really easy method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhWPNhI8iiU&feature=related