PDA

View Full Version : How to set discus after long 14 hour jorney

champak
12-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Hello all out there,
I am a newbie to discus so have some doubts if some one can guide.
I wanted to know how you all members set newly arrived fish traveling 12 to 14 hours journey to your tank.
What are the ways to reduce stress to fish before putting it in to the tank.

Eddie
12-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Hello all out there,
I wanted to know how you all members set newly arrived fish traveling 12 to 14 hours journey to your tank.

Do you mean acclimation? This depends on several factors. Alot of folks do the drop and plop method. Dropping the bag into the tank for specified period until the temperature is about the same as tank and then scooping the fish out of the bag and plopping the fish in the tank.

I drip acclimate, always, no matter what the time in travel. This is entirely personal preference.

Keep the lights out and thats it, nothing special. Sometimes I'll throw in some salt if there is a little fin/skin damage from shipment.

Eddie

Double Up
12-12-2009, 03:06 AM
I take an air hose and use it to slowly add water from the tank they will be going in to the shipping/transport box/cooler. Just a little at a time, I keep the hose out of the water as to add oxygen as the water pours into the shipping/transport recepticle. I add alittle at a time over 30 mins or so and then they should be good to go! Check the temp though

champak
12-12-2009, 03:21 AM
I have ph at higher side then the breeders tank.
Ph:-8.6
Tds:-210 ppm

Breeders tank APPROX 7 PH
tds 60-80 ppm

Would this discus from breeder would survive my water parameters?

Thanks all of you for helping me

Eddie
12-12-2009, 03:26 AM
I have ph at higher side then the breeders tank.
Ph:-8.6
Tds:-210 ppm

Breeders tank APPROX 7 PH
tds 60-80 ppm

Would this discus from breeder would survive my water parameters?

Thanks all of you for helping me

Well that depends, in this instance drop and plop may work out but I try not to leave any room for error, especially if I'm putting down half a grand for 2 fish. :o

Take care,

Eddie

champak
12-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks Eddie and double up.
I would try slowly adding water process by air hose.
Hope it goes well.

Eddie
12-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Thanks Eddie and double up.
I would try slowly adding water process by air hose.
Hope it goes well.

I use an air hose also but I just let it into the container or box. I also have an air stone in the container. When I let the bags out in the box I add a small amount of Seachem Prime. I let the box fill up with the new water (fishes in the box) twice. When the box is filled, I drain the box until the water is at the top of the dorsal and then let the box fill again, before scooping the fish out with my hand and dropping it into the tank.

HTH

Eddie

Jhhnn
12-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I float the bags for 10-15 minutes or so, then cut each open, putting the fish back into the bigger bag in their shipping box. Add a few drops of prime and an airstone. Add a cup or two of tank water, wait 10-15 minutes with the lid loosely on the box, repeat until the water volume in the bag/box has more than doubled, move the fish to the tank. Takes ~ 90 minutes... I leave the tank lights off until the fish seem comfortable. I treat minor fin abrasions w/ 1 teaspoon of salt/ 10 gallons of tank water.

That's how Kenny told me to do it, and it's worked fine for two shipments. With your radical pH difference, Eddie's method might be better.

zamboniMan
12-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Hello all out there,

I would acclimate according to the recomendations of the dealer you bought them from. That way if something goes wrong you've followed all their directions and most of them will be a little more sympathetic.

Hope that helps,
Josh

Justice
12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
I float the bags till temp is equal then cut the tops off the bags if they smell strong I Plop and Drop, if no smell or very weak smell I drip them using an airline and airline valve into a bucket with a heater and air stone, I also add a few drops of Prime. I drip till the water is three times original volume the whole process usually takes me from an hour and a half to 2 hours. After that I put them in the tank and after about 30 min drop in a small amount of Bloodworm's and back away to observe, I have never had any not eat right off. I have only done this with 2" to 3" Discus though as I have never bought any as adults.

RodneyL001
12-13-2009, 05:53 AM
I acclimate slowly with fish I get from a lfs. But fish I buy off the web, which is becoming more and more often, I use the plop and drop method. The fish usually seem so stressed after their long trip, I don't want to acclimate too long, because I hear the water they have been traveling has gotten pretty foul from their long trip, with their waste in their; I want to get them in some fresh water A.S.A.P.