PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Cookie

Scribbles
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Sometime in the wee hours of the morning I lost one of my cockatiels, Cookie. She was one of my rescues that a friend had found a little over 3 years ago picking at some seeds under her birdfeeder. Cookie's owner was traced from her leg band and the women admitted to turning Cookie loose because it was too much bother to take care of her. Cookie had been very close to death when she was found as she was not used to flying or the cold. She was starving and exhausted but through my friends loving care she was saved. She regained her strength and spunk and made sure that everyone knew that she was in charge and that things had better be done to her liking. It made me laugh to see something so small have so much spunk. She was alot of company for my other cockatiel, Spot, who is shreaking for her. I know that the world won't miss one more little grey cockatiel but Spot and I sure do. Rest in Peace Cookie, my little sweetheart.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/Mydiscus/IMG_0131-1.jpg
Chris

David Rose
12-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Sorry for your loss Chris...what a cutie!

Scribbles
12-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you David. It has been heart breaking to hear Spot (I know that it's a dumb name but it's a long story) scream for her all day long. I haven't even been able to tear her cage down to clean it because he becomes so frantic that I worry that he will hurt himself. He is an old man and all of this stress isn't good for him.

Chris

Disgirl
12-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh Chris I am so sorry to hear of Cookie's death. I know you made her last 3 years happy and healthy and she is so lucky she was found. How could a person let a pet bird go like that??? Maybe Spot could use a new little feathered friend in awhile? You are in my thoughts.
Barb

mikel
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow, I hope you and Spot can recover and move forward. These little guys, and parrots in general, really become part of one's life because they are so smart, and so NEEDY that they just take over. My partner and I have two macaws and one beautul grey parrot, and so I understand fully how much yoy are missing your little girl...best wishes to you both. mike

Scribbles
12-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Barb and Mike,

Thank you for the well wishes. Today has just been awful. I don't have human kids so my critters are like my children. I just wish that I could find a way to comfort poor Spot. He is nearly hoarse from screaming.

Chris

mikel
12-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Take him out and hold him in your hands and whisper to him....you'll have to do your best to be the stand-in for awhile. mike:)

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 02:53 AM
i think cockatiels are some of the most beautiful birds there are. i use to have a few of them a few years back and loved hearing them early in the morning. i'm sorry for your loss but as previously said, you gave Cookie 3 more years than she would have had otherwise.

Eddie
12-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss Chris.

Take care and best wishes,

Eddie

Scribbles
12-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Thank you for your kind words Ricardo and Eddie!

Mike, I had tried to hold him but he was so frantic that I was worried that he would hurt himself.

Things are a bit better today and Spot only screams if I leave him. I know that he will settle down and be fine in a few days. Thanks again everyone for your well wishes.

Chris

calihawker
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
So sorry to hear about that Chris.:( Take care buddy.

Scribbles
12-15-2009, 12:31 AM
Thanks Steve! Cockatiels usualy live 12-15 years and Cookie had turned 12 this year so she lived a full life. I just didn't expect it since she was doing well.

Chris

fishyj
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss Chris. They become part of your family. This is coming from some one that has 3 dogs, 3 birds and 3 fish tanks. Take care.

TankWatcher
12-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Sorry for your loss, Chris :(

Cookie sure looked a cutie pie.

As you can see by my avatar, I am a parrot fan too. I never knew what great companions birds make until Butch came into my life. He's only 3. Captive Rainbow Lorikeets are known to live in excess of 20 years, so I hope to have his love for a long time to come.

I'm glad you and Spot still have each other. Lots of tickles and scratches seem in order for Spot & I'm sure he'll pay you back with lots of little birdie kisses.

Take Care
Robyn

Lauren
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I know how you feel. My parents got one when I was a baby. It was a terror and hated everyone. When I became a teenager I took many hours daily to slowly spend time with him. After weeks we became very close(although he still didn't trust anyone else). Soon after he passed of old age, he must of been about 14 years old.

It was very hard on me, even in his biting days I loved him. More so once he stopped biting and began hanging out on my shoulder all day.

Scribbles
12-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Thank you Jim, Robyn, and Lauren, birds and other pets do indeed become part of the amily. Cookie came into my life just 2 weeks after I lost Spot's mother, Sugar who was nearly 20, I had had major health issues and had to dismantle a business that I loved and spent my whole life building. My brother became ill and I took care of him but he ended up spending 2 years in and out of hospitals, hospice and nursing homes. Somehow he miraculously lived but it was a very stressful time and nursing little Cookie back to health helped me through it. We just needed each other.

Chris

Iloveyou
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I Know how you feel...:(
Today my cockatiel died....
This morning and I miss him soo much already:'(
This name was also Cookie...:|

Disgirl
07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Sorry for the loss of your bird Cookie. Welcome to Simply Discus, do you keep discus? Our pets are truly family aren't they?
Barb

bronzie8
07-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm so sorry about your baby, take comfort in knowing that Cookie is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. All of my babies are waiting there for me, only knowing that comforts me that they are all waiting to see us cross the Bridge. They are all healed and healthy, happily playing with all of the other animals that are waiting for their families.

TURQ64
07-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Too bad about your bird..as a parrot breeder, I fully understand..Regards, Gary