PDA

View Full Version : fungus eggs

SHAWN WARDLE
12-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I have a blue diamond female that lays eggs 2 times a week as she lays them they look completely normal approx 60-80 eggs at a time but within 24 hours one by one they start turning white and then they fungus over i have tried 3 different males each with a history of fertile egggs i'm wondering if any buddy can give me any help or suggestions that i can try?

David Rose
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showpost.php?p=592734&postcount=39

zamboniMan
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
What are your water conditions?
Are you using RO?

mmorris
12-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Chances are either your tds (total dissolved solids) is too high or the males are not fertilizing. Have you seen them making passes over the eggs? Like Zamboni said, what are your water conditions? What is your water change regime? How often and how much? Temperature? How many opportunities do you give each male?

SHAWN WARDLE
12-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Nirtrate & nitrite 0
total hardness gh 25
alkalinity kh 80
ph 6.9
1 male a least 8 times new male 3
water changes 50% every other day

SHAWN WARDLE
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
sorry water condition 70% tap 30% RO

mmorris
12-13-2009, 04:18 PM
1) Can you check nitrates again? You should be showing some nitrate unless you have a heavily planted tank.
2) Have you observed the spawning? Are the males making passes?
3) Do you know the tds? If not, you might want to get a tds meter. I wouldn't use ro without one.
4) Temperature?

zamboniMan
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
sorry water condition 70% tap 30% RO

If you have a spare tank laying around I would do the following:

1.Disinfect the spare with white vinegar, and bleach.
2. Rinse extremely well with RO water.
(Otherwise you've wasted what you accomplished in step 1. Use water conditioner if you must)
3. Repeat with any used filters and accesories (heater, breeding cone, etc) you want to use on the tank (Unless they're sponge filters in which case I would just go with new ones)

***While your doing this acclimate your pair to straight RO in the tank they're in***

4. Fill the spare tank (BB is probably best for breeding) prepared in steps 1 & 2 only with RO water and add filters and accessories from step 3. (Again new if possible)
5. Fill 2 or 3 an empty bucket with RO water at the appropriate temperature and add an airstone.
6. Net the breeding pair out and put them in bucket one.
7. Net them from bucket one and put them in bucket two. (From bucket two to bucket 3 if you decide to go with three buckets)
8. Move them from bucket 2 (or 3) into the newly prepared tank.

***This may be considered extreme by most but I always do this first to try and avoid adding chemicals. (More often than not this works for me). I leave the discus in each bucket for an hour (you may need small heaters in each bucket to keep the temp stable) or so and I always use identical buckets to cut back on stress ***

If this doesn't work go to Formalin or Methylene Blue.

Hope that helps,
Josh