PDA

View Full Version : how does your water rate?

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 12:31 AM
interesting article i came across on Yahoo, check out the link:
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/110/cities-with-best-and-worst-tap-water.html

yim11
12-13-2009, 12:49 AM
#1!!!!

Our water really is nice, low TDS/microsemens out of the tap, no funny taste, it's very nice to have.

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
#1!!!!

Our water really is nice, low TDS/microsemens out of the tap, no funny taste, it's very nice to have.

i'm glad, i honestly can't say our water is bad because i do not age my water and just adjust temp to do a WC. as far as TDS i'm not sure because i have never wanted to breed so the TDS has never been a concern. Jim, do you drink the tap water?

yim11
12-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Jim, do you drink the tap water?

This may sound strange, but I do drink tap, and cook and make coffee with RO.

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 01:16 AM
This may sound strange, but I do drink tap, and cook and make coffee with RO.

cool, i use to drink tap back in the day but for some reason when i moved to the house i'm currently in i would get stomach ache's when i would drink the tap so i just stooped. we use the water from our fridge now. it's funny that you use the RO for the coffee yet drink the tap, lol. i read in another article that people shouldn't use warm/hot tap water to boil to use coffee, baby bottle formula or cook with warm/hot tap water because it's bad for you.

optionlessm
12-13-2009, 03:08 AM
I guess Atlanta didn't qualify as a big city? nowhere on the list of 100

Scribbles
12-13-2009, 03:50 AM
I clicked on the list of 100 cities but it didn't come up. I live in a smaller city anyway. My water comes from 3 different springs so I can get different water on any given day. In the summer it can drop from a PH of 8 to 6.8. I think that when that happens they switch to the spring at the bottom of the hill. The water tastes great out of the tap and the only problem that I'm aware of is that beavers sometimes crap in it so sometimes chlorine/chloramine is added.

Chris

bs6749
12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm assuming that the rankings are based on water that has been treated by municipalities because when I saw Minneapolis in the top 10 I had to laugh. The water there is extremely hard with a high carbonate hardness and a pH probably in the mid 8's. Certainly that is not optimal water for something like breeding discus. Growing out juvies maybe but not great for fertilization.

Someone in one of the "best areas" could have some of the "worst" water because they have a well rather than city water. I have fairly good water where I am right now. Low iron, ph of 7.0-7.2, but quite a bit of Ca+2 and Mg+2 in the water. It is the best drinking water around.

lemondiscus
12-13-2009, 12:02 PM
#11!!!!!

I knew our water was good (tastes like bottle out of the tap and the Discus LOVE it!!! RO from the tap almost... but I didnt realize Richmond would make the list! And the Water Municipality they rated is even mine (there are 4 different ones in the city of Richmond and I am Henrico the one tested for the list)

rickztahone
12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
All I can say is " OUR WATER SUCKS ! "
Carbon Cliff Illinois water is TOXIC !
from the tap ...
PH 7.7
KH 18
GH 18
Ammonia 8.0+
Nitrite 5.0+
Nitrate 160+

And still I manage to breed fish... but is it worth it ?

http://home.mchsi.com/~qcdiscus/newbaner1_150.jpg

wholly crappolla! that is some horrible water my friend. do you use RO solely? would love to see some of your discus. nice sig

Jhhnn
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I use NO R/O at all.
I have and do raise Angelfish , German Blue and Gold Rams , Betas , BN Plecos , Yellow Labs ,Snails and Plants . I have had over 20 Discus spawns but so far all my Discus are female so no young yet .

I have pictures of the adult and any young I have for sale listed on my web page.
Currently I have German Blues Rams (30+) and Black Angelfish (25+) and Gold - Blue and White Snails ( very limited supply ) for sale.
I have 6 adult breeding pair of Black Angelfish that when they have wigglers or fry will be sold . But only when the buyer can come see them with young .

http://home.mchsi.com/~qcdiscus/newbaner1_150.jpg

Amazing, particularly wrt the rams. Since you don't use RO water, how then do you render it habitable for fish?

zamboniMan
12-13-2009, 08:44 PM
#16 thats surprising

caparzo
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I knew we had good water here.. 10th in the United States! I'll take that !