PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

stephcps
12-13-2009, 08:19 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
I have had a red turq and white butterfly pair off. After several times of laying eggs they actually had free swimmers! It was a really cool thing to watch. However, they were sooooo aggressive to they're tankmates. Once the swimmers were all eaten I thought things would go back to normal. But, noted that my LSS was looking pretty dark and not eating quite like normal. About 4 days later the pair of course spawned again. This time I removed the eggs, but they continued with the aggression for a day or two.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

After I removed the new eggs, pretty much everyone stopped eating. The red turqs and LSS were really dark with dark eyes. Noted the LSS to have white stringy poop. One red turq also with white poop.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Have treated with metro 500mg/10 gal 7 days. I intially turned temp up to 92, but this seemed to really stress them. Their colors got worse, and all had major stress bars. I turned temp to 86 and they seemed to be better.

They have started to eat a little. However I jut observed one fish to have loose green/yellow stool. Like diarrhea.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon, 6 discus 2.5 inch to 4.5 inch in size. Most 4-4.5 inch. They have been in tank since August.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Bare bottom with a few sacttered rocks. Daily to every other day water change from tap.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __currently 86, usually 84___

- ph __7.4___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _5___

- well water ____

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

no

So, am I dealing with something else here? What should I do next?

Thanks
Steph

Eddie
12-13-2009, 08:28 PM
How long since you treated with the Metro? What foods are you feeding? You said you perform daily water changes with tap. Is the PH the same as the tanks PH? What water conditioner are you using?

Eddie

stephcps
12-13-2009, 08:30 PM
My last treatment was yesterday. I decided to hold off as they were seeming to be better. My ph is stable from the tap. That is the way I have always done water changes. I use prime water conditioner. I feed frozen bloodworms, flakes of various sorts and CBW.

Eddie
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
My last treatment was yesterday. I decided to hold off as they were seeming to be better. My ph is stable from the tap. That is the way I have always done water changes. I use prime water conditioner. I feed frozen bloodworms, flakes of various sorts and CBW.

Could your CBWs have gone bad. These are pretty classic symptoms of feeding bad CBWs.

moik
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
And I was thinking of getting an order of CBW too.. sorry to interject..

Eddie
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM
And I was thinking of getting an order of CBW too.. sorry to interject..

Well I dont want to put anybody off of them but if they are not well kept, these can really bring the fish down fast. Its almost always fish turning dark, not eating and for the fish to having the runs, that leads me to something internal bothering the fish.

Eddie

roclement
12-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Please don't blame the cbw...it would be an issue of maintaining it properly, almost like blaming frozen food for going bad if you leave it out overnight and then feed your fish, or flakes going stale...

Having said that...I agree with Eddie, it does sounds like bad food problems...

Rod

stephcps
12-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I rinse them everyday with aged cold water, the water is almost clear always. Discard any dead...which is hardly ever. The worms themselves are very active. I also feed them to my peacock gudgeons and kuhli loaches in another tank and they have no issues. In fact the peacocks have started spawning. They are given as a treat to some other fish like my tiger barbs and cory cats and again nobody else is having an issue except the discus.

It all seems to be stress induced from the aggression after the spawn and the wigglers.

pcsb23
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I have observed yellowish/greenish faeces after treating with antibiotics in the past. I would suggest epsom salts at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals (can use 2 tablespoons if you want) for 24 hours without feeding. Hopefully the faeces will return to a more normal colour.

stephcps
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Thank you Paul. That is what I did actually. They are much more active today and fed well this evening. I have my fingers crossed!

Steph