PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita

plark
12-14-2009, 09:02 PM
So I got a Manzanita bush out back and was wondering what do I need to do to get it ready to go into an aquarium..... From bringing to tank ready

hedut
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
You can ask Eddie or Hans, both of the have nice display manzania

ChloroPhil
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
You need to strip the bark off the branches and let the wood dry out so any sap or other organic compounds are gone before soaking to put in your tank.

Regards,
Phil

plark
12-14-2009, 11:17 PM
How long does curing usually take?

fishyj
12-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Best way to do it if at all possible is to boil it in water. If to big for the pot you can use a garbage can and boil water and let it soak. I had mine soaking for 3 weeks. There are no more tannins but it still floats.

plark
12-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Letting it sit for 3 weeks in a tub of water isn't a problem but how do I know all the sap is out? Has anyone tried leaving it in an oven on really low heat

fishyj
12-15-2009, 04:00 AM
I did mention that I would change water daily and reboil and add again. I did put one piece in another tank that developed a white slime on it. It was probably from the organic's in it but my bn's loved eating it and over time it disappeared. The pieces I have were not cured when I got them. If you strip off the skin and soak it should be fine. The bn's will eat the skin too but the bottom of the tank is messy. I found this site, hope it helps, it for fresh or live wood:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_cure_manzanita_branches

zamboniMan
12-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I get all of mine from the creek behind my house (it's more like a small river) after a flood. I only pick up bleached looking pieces so that I know they are sap free (its easy to tell which ones are bleached dry). Should there be some bark left I leave it on. I'll soak it in a tub for 4 to 6 weeks changing the water out about once or twice a week with boiling water. Any loose bark will come off during this time (any left is rare) and then you haven't altered the look of the wood by sanding.

Hope that helps,
Josh