PDA

View Full Version : Older discus and PH

Scribbles
12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
ShinShin posted something on another thread that got me thinking. For those of you who have had discus that were 5 years or older, what was the PH of the water that you kept them in? I'm curious if discus kept in water with a higher PH live as long as those in a lower PH.

My discus that lived 5-6 years were kept around 7.0 give or take for slight fluctuations.

Chris

pcsb23
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Oldest I have kept them too is around 10 years, I gave one away that was that age and it lasted a bit longer (would have lasted much longer with me :(). The ph of my water never exceeds 6.4, usually lower.

John_Nicholson
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I never, ever check ph, but I would guess mine is somewhere around 7 to 7.2. I am not sure how old the oldest discus I ever had was but I did once spawn a female that was 8. I would guess my oldest around 10.

I personally think the biggest mistake people make is worring about their ph. Unless you are dealing with wilds the fish will do fine as long as the water is warm and clean.

-john

Rod
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm with Paul on this one. I have quite a few oldies well over the 5 year old mark and i keep them in lowered ph. Not sure about the ph/age corelation, but it wouldn't surprise if it were proven so.

Rod:)

Scribbles
12-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks guys! Anyone else? In a thread awhile back several people had older discus.

Chris