PDA

View Full Version : Need help lighting show tank

henpecked
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

I have a non planted 75g tank with a single strip fluorescent (32watt). I would like to double the wattage to better show the discus and get rid of some of the dark areas of the tank.

Some people have told me that 64w lighting on a 75g is too bright for discus. What do you guys think?

Any reccomendations on fluorescent lighting options?

pcsb23
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't think 64w is too much.

You may want to look into the new led lights, they are expensive but look wonderful. When I can afford it I shall be getting some. They also just about last forever and cost extremely little to run.

If you go with florries, then T5's would be a good bet, but T8's still work fine. Warm white/daylight is a reasonable middle ground in terms of colour temp.

zamboniMan
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't think 64w is too much.

You may want to look into the new led lights, they are expensive but look wonderful. When I can afford it I shall be getting some. They also just about last forever and cost extremely little to run.

If you go with florries, then T5's would be a good bet, but T8's still work fine. Warm white/daylight is a reasonable middle ground in terms of colour temp.

I'd wait on the LED's until they become more widespread and the price goes down. Also there's still hard evidence on how they work because they're still so new.

T5's are good. The bulbs last a while and you need less of them that you would of T8's also they cost less to power.

Hope that helps,
Josh

henpecked
12-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Thank you both, very helpful:D

lemondiscus
12-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I keep wilds in a 125 gallon tank and I currently have around 240-280 watts over it... My discus dont mind it at all... of course it took them a few days to adjust... When stepping up light do it slow, dont triple your lighting in one day.... They will be fine IME

Domestics dont mind the extra light at all anywhere near wilds... wilds dont really like it... domesticated discus are pretty tough little fish that will get used to ALMOST any tank condition as long as you keep the water clean and warm....

BOTR
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
I'd wait on the LED's until they become more widespread and the price goes down. Also there's still hard evidence on how they work because they're still so new.

T5's are good. The bulbs last a while and you need less of them that you would of T8's also they cost less to power.

Hope that helps,
Josh

I've been running LED's over my SPS reefs for close to 2 years now. They are not really new to the hobby anymore, and they do work wonderfully. You are right about the initial pricing though. IMO well work the cost if you can afford them. I particularly enjoy being able to adjust the color of my lighting, rather than having to buy another bulb to change the color temp.

Chris