PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Problem

Aquaben19
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I have a LFS lined up to order fish from Hans. He special ordered an aquarium that they were to be placed in. He bought this tank in October and told me when it cycled that he would order the Discus. He put in a bunch of barbs to start the process... well I have been stopping in now and again to see whats up(I buy ALL of my frozen foods from him). Here is the deal: This tank is still reading an ammonia level of 4.

Here are the facts:
The test kit is NOT expired and other tanks he has reads 0 ammonia.
He uses RO water for water changes.
He has two nice sponge filters and one powerhead for moving the water.
Water is kept at 82 degrees.
NOT one barb has died, the only fish that did die were 2, inch and a half plecos.
He also used stability and amquel plus.

Any thoughts?

Ben

Chad Hughes
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Ben,

That is rather odd. More than enough time has passed and that tank should have cycled. Other than the ammonia has there been any other readings of nitrite or nitrate? If you are reading eithr or both of these then your cycle is underway. If not, the cycled is stalled for some reason.

If this guy runs a LFS then he should have plenty of bio media available to seed this new system. Any reason why that hasn't been done yet? Just a suggestion.

Do you know for certain when he started cycling this tank? Your post says that he ordered the tank in October. When did he stock the tank?

Best wishes!

Aquaben19
12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Chad,

I called him and told him to test those things to see if there is a reading. I also told him to take one of the sponges from the other tanks to "help" this one.

I will post tomorrow to update...

Ben

Man, the things I will do for some free Stendkers! LOL

Chad Hughes
12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Ben,

Good luck brother!

Best wishes!