PDA

View Full Version : Please identify these discus ?

Fishy knickers
12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
I am very new to discus keeping discus - so please forgive me for being a bit dumb if they're an obvious breed.But what are they?

And are they any good?

Thanks

hedut
12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not expert but the look like :) first one some kinda Red turq and second kinda tiger pattern so tiger turq. they beautifull good luck;)

Fishy knickers
12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
If I could raise fry from these - what are they likely to turn out like? One of the parents or a mix?:confused:

Eddie
12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Looks like a Red Spotted Green and a Red Turq.

If you crossed these, you'd get a mix similar to the parents, IMO.

HTH

Eddie

kaceyo
12-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Both Red Turq's. They should produce some excellent fry.

Kacey

joanr
12-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Turq #1 is very nice, but #2 is a stunner! You really lucked out with these two, were they sold to you as a proven pair?

vss
12-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I'd say the first look like a red diamond, kinda a cross of spotted fish and red turq. The second one is a red turq. Both look great. If you cross these two, I guess most of the fry will be more like turqs.

-Xiaofei :)

Eddie
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I'd say the first look like a red diamond, kinda a cross of spotted fish and red turq. The second one is a red turq. Both look great. If you cross these two, I guess most of the fry will be more like turqs.

-Xiaofei :)

Even better, a Red Diamond. Good call!

Eddie

bs6749
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
First one to me looks like a leopard from a line that has been inbred multiple generations. Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice fish but the spots are starting to run together and look more like the lines of a turquoise discus. This is characteristic of inbreeding leopards multiple generations from what I've been told and what I've seen.

Second fish is undoubtedly a red turquoise.

As mentioned, the fry should look similar to the parents.

Fishy knickers
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your replies....but still not conclusive- nobody can agree!! What would I call the fry (if I can rear them!!)...or would they just be undesirable "mongrels" as such?

They have recently paired up and have been laying, but other fish have been eating the eggs, and the pair have been retalliating violently!-:) so we have taken them on. Firstly because they are pretty....and if I can raise desirable fry- well that would be a bonus!!

Eddie
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Red Turqs is what you would call them. The one with the slight spotting in the striations can be a cross but they are the same base and have striating lines.

HTH

Eddie

Discus-Hans
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
It's getting harder and harder these days to tell what or where they came from for 100%. You got 2 nice Discus there, breed them, show the parents and you will sell the fry in no time. If I wouldn't have more or less enough Discus, I would buy the fry from this pair.

Who did you buy them from and as what? I think I see some German blood in them,

Hans