PDA

View Full Version : Why Does The Eye Color Change?

Schergeil
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey,

I was wondering if someone could tell me why does the eye color usually change from Red to a Pale Red Orange?

I've noticed this a few times, when the discus come from an importer, the colors of the eyes are Bright Ruby Red and all of a sudden it changes sometimes to a pale orangish color.... is it normal?
Fish still stay active and eat like dogs... move around well as well.. with no signs of illness or stress.

Looking for positive responses!?

Schergeil
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Anyone???

David Rose
12-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Sorry Schergeil...never had that happen yet. Good luck in getting an answer though. You might want to ask the importer/breeder where you purhcased them.

Eddie
12-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I find this to be directly related to stress, kind of like the vertical bars. If there is any type of stessor, the fishes eye color can change. One very important factor is water quality. If there is any ammonia or nitrite, the eye color will be off. Also, if the fish have internal issues, there eyes can be off colored, to being dark.

HTH

Eddie

mmorris
12-19-2009, 11:51 AM
My blue sapphires came in with bright red eyes, but over time the eyes changed to a deep orange. Their fry have always had deep orange. I don't know why the parents' eyes changed. It could be medications or a change in diet. I'm only guessing though.

vss
12-19-2009, 12:36 PM
As fish turn to adult, there is a tendency that their eye color will change gradually from red to amber or yellow. I've seen some cases like this, especially pigeon-based fish, spotted fish, and blue fish, some are imported and some are locally bred by hobbyists.

If paying attention to the pictures of some competition and shows, you will find out that even in the shows there are not so many giant blue diamond with chilli red eyes. I guess it is just natural when fish mature.

-Xiaofei:)

Willie
12-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Eye color in Blue Diamonds is affected by environment. They get real red in hard water and turn amber in soft water. I've hand picked red eyed BD's from the breeders and had them turn amber growing up in soft water in my fish room. The fry also had amber eye color. But when I sell them to people with hard water, they turn back to red.

Note that red eye in Blue Diamonds is controlled by different genetics than red eye in pigeon derived discus. Those are not affected by hardness in the water. Nor can I comment on red eye types in cobalts, turqs, etc.

Hope that helps, Willie

Schergeil
12-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Well I have blue diamonds, marlboro reds and some other pigeon varieties.... they came in with bright red eyes but within a week or two changed to amber.... although from where I see it, this shouldn't happen just like that. Now my water is not soft at all and nor is the PH any lower than 7-7.5. They are very active, but have lost that bright redish color they had.

Any possible way of over coming this? Or its natural (although very strange to me)..............?