PDA

View Full Version : Discus for dark color tank

dragon
12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
HI

Any suggestion for the type of discus for tank with black background? I don't want to have those strain that will turn dark when placed in such tank.

many thanks :)

rich815
12-19-2009, 02:35 AM
Albino?

hedut
12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
yup Albinos

MostlyDiscus
12-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Albinos for sure. Nice selection available now with albinos at least gives you a choice.

Ed

csarkar001
12-19-2009, 12:17 PM
especially yellow

calihawker
12-19-2009, 02:46 PM
The albino crosses that are being raised in the contest section are awesome. Speaking from personal experience of course!:D

They came from our wonderful SD sponsors Kenny and Forrest.

ChloroPhil
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm going to be keeping a school of Flachen in a tank with a black background. How much light are you putting into the tank? That might offset some of the darkness. A nice background of green plants should have a brightening effect as well.

Cheers,
Phil

mmorris
12-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Albinos, blue turqs, blue sapphires (rather than blue diamonds), cobalts look great...red turqs and brown-based fish tend to get dark.

dragon
12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Albinos, blue turqs, blue sapphires (rather than blue diamonds), cobalts look great...red turqs and brown-based fish tend to get dark.

that a very nice tank..hope i can achieve that ... thanks

kaceyo
12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Any pigeons would look good as they don't get dark.

Kacey

rich815
12-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Any pigeons would look good as they don't get dark.

Kacey

No, but unless the conditions are absolutely tip top in terms of water quality and environment they could pepper up quote severely. Not always the most attractive.

In fact many people with dark substrate and backgrounds avoid standard pigeon-blood lines for this exact reason.

rich815
12-24-2009, 04:13 PM

I have a heavily planted tank with a medium green background. Many of my discus do darken a little, for example, my Red Golden Dragon definitely gets a "singed" look on his fins, and the orange is a richer, medium color rather than the brighter orange and lighter fins and face that one typically sees. But that said I really like it.

I also have a Blue Diamond, which again, has not colored up as the very light, almost translucent color most people expect and get from a Blue Diamond. It's darker, but not what I would call dark, sort of a rich medium-light blue. He's gorgeous. The fins have taken on a irridescent purple-blue sheen that is amazing.

And I've been lucky in that my checkerboard pigeon and carnation pigeon have only the slightest peppering. I chalk it up to hopefully good water conditions and environment. I've gotten a few PMs asking how I've kept my pigeons so pepper-less in such a heavily planted tank!

kaceyo
12-24-2009, 05:18 PM
No, but unless the conditions are absolutely tip top in terms of water quality and environment they could pepper up quote severely. Not always the most attractive.

In fact many people with dark substrate and backgrounds avoid standard pigeon-blood lines for this exact reason.

Very true. Although these days many of the pigeon strains have most of the pepper bred out of them so I thought, with the right strain, it could be done.

Kacey

rich815
12-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Very true. Although these days many of the pigeon strains have most of the pepper bred out of them so I thought, with the right strain, it could be done.

Kacey

Then perhaps I stand corrected. I thought that unless you had an albino pigeon you were likely to get peppering in dark substrate/dark background/plmated tank situations for pigeons.

mmorris
12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
As I understand it the potential to pepper is genetics, but a dark environment is one way to bring it out. There are a lot of heavily peppered pb's out there. The pepper is a long way from gone.

kaceyo
12-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Actually, I'm probably not the best person to give advice to begginers on pigeons. I've only ever bought them once and that was around 5 yrs ago. Maybe they aren't as far along in the pepper dept as I thought they were.:)

Kacey

mmorris
12-24-2009, 06:44 PM
That's why I don't care for pb's. Have a Merry Christmas Kacey. :)

kaceyo
12-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks, You too Martha and Merry christmas to the whole Simply Gang!!! :D

Kacey