PDA

View Full Version : Seachem SAFE

Eddie
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to mention that I recently switched over to Seachem Safe as a water conditioner and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. Its basically a concentrated powder form of Prime. I picked up the 1 kilo container from 4fishstuff.com for about the same price as the 2 liter bottle of Prime. I use 1/4 tsp per 50 gallons, and I am confident that this container is gonna last me a lifetime! I change at least 300 gallons of water everyday and the container I purchased treats 200,000 gallons. If you are looking for an alternative to Prime, Seachem Safe is HIGHLY cost effective.

If my math serves me correctly, I will need to order another container in the year 2012 and I am not even kidding!

All the best,

Eddie

phat nguyen
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Hello all,
You can get SAFE 1kg for $29.95 at 4fishstuff.com or 4kgs for $72.99 at customaquatic.com. This is a great product and should last you for a VERY LONG TIME.

Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

Eddie
12-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Hello all,
You can get SAFE 1kg for $29.95 at 4fishstuff.com or 4kgs for $72.99 at customaquatic.com. This is a great product and should last you for a VERY LONG TIME.

Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

Yeah, I was thinking of getting another Kilo from 4fishstuff before the price goes through the roof but I dont even know if I will be here in Japan after 2012 and I am seriously thinking the 1 kilo will last me until then. :o

Eddie

yim11
12-20-2009, 12:17 AM
I just wanted to mention that I recently switched over to Seachem Safe as a water conditioner and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. Its basically a concentrated powder form of Prime. I picked up the 1 kilo container from 4fishstuff.com for about the same price as the 2 liter bottle of Prime. I use 1/4 tsp per 50 gallons, and I am confident that this container is gonna last me a lifetime! I change at least 300 gallons of water everyday and the container I purchased treats 200,000 gallons. If you are looking for an alternative to Prime, Seachem Safe is HIGHLY cost effective.

If my math serves me correctly, I will need to order another container in the year 2012 and I am not even kidding!

All the best,

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

IIRC you don't age water, do you add the powder into the tank before/during refill or make a liquid stock solution?

I've been wanting to try this but wasn't sure how to use it on tanks that don't get aged water.

Thanks in advance,
-jim

rickztahone
12-20-2009, 12:20 AM
is there any type of residue left behind from using the powered form Eddie? do you dissolve it prior to putting it in your tank?

Eddie
12-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Eddie,

IIRC you don't age water, do you add the powder into the tank before/during refill or make a liquid stock solution?

I've been wanting to try this but wasn't sure how to use it on tanks that don't get aged water.

Thanks in advance,
-jim

Hey Jim, no aging with my water unless its for breeders/fry. I simply add 1/4 tsp of the powder to the tank and fill the tank. And I do 100% daily straight from tap too. :o

is there any type of residue left behind from using the powered form Eddie? do you dissolve it prior to putting it in your tank?

No dissolving Ricardo, just add to the tank and fill. As soon as the water hits it, it dissolves instantly!

All the best fellas,

Eddie

smiley
12-20-2009, 03:35 AM
This is interesting...maybe a relief for all those searching for Prime..

Thanks Eddie for the info

migetguy
12-20-2009, 11:45 AM
thanks eddie for tell us about this im going to order some now :D

Eddie
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Eddie for the info

thanks eddie for tell us about this im going to order some now :D

Any time fellas, anything that can help save somebody some money is good in my book, plus it helps to buy more discus! :D

Take care,

Eddie

tcyiu
12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

Tim

Patr1ck
12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Thank you buddy.

Pat

htruong
12-21-2009, 02:32 PM
No dissolving Ricardo, just add to the tank and fill. As soon as the water hits it, it dissolves instantly!
Eddie

HI Eddie,
What percentage of WC do you do? 100% 90% or else?

My concern is that if you drain too much water out (90 or 100%) and add the Seachem powder in the tank. That is too much chemical for little water. Is that too much chemical for the fish at that instant?

Thanks,
-Hoang

Eddie
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
HI Eddie,
What percentage of WC do you do? 100% 90% or else?

My concern is that if you drain too much water out (90 or 100%) and add the Seachem powder in the tank. That is too much chemical for little water. Is that too much chemical for the fish at that instant?

Thanks,
-Hoang

100% every day, no problems yet and I did the same with Prime. My post was not meant for concerns, just to state that Safe is a good alternative to Prime.

David Rose
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for another great tip Eddie!

Scribbles
12-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the info Eddie! Anytime I can save $ without sacrificing quality I'm all for it.

Chris

Eddie
12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
More geewiz information. I use 1 each 2 liter bottle of Prime every 45 days. This bottle treats 20,000 gallons. The 1 kilo container of Safe treats 200,000 gallons. This is 10 times more than the 2 liter bottles. Technically, this 1 kilo is gonna last me over a year! :D

Take care and Happy Holidays!

Eddie

PS: This is a savings of >260 dollars, if you look at it in the long run.

William Palumbo
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for doing the math Eddie!...Count me in on this one. I will be getting some myself as well...be foolish NOT to. Saving $260 sounds real good...Bill

Eddie
12-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for doing the math Eddie!...Count me in on this one. I will be getting some myself as well...be foolish NOT to. Saving $260 sounds real good...Bill

I know, its working like a charm too!

And I dont work for Seachem! LOL

Take care,

Eddie

DavidH
12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Thx Eddie, I've been using Chroram-X but I like the price and will give it a try!
Dave

smoothhound2000
12-22-2009, 11:21 AM
hi eddie good find...... how big is your tank and how much would would you add if using a tea or table spoon or are you measuring it out using scales, because acording to the seachem website it looks like you add hardly anything if you have 4ft tank as i have. This would mean i could save loads of money.:D

rickztahone
12-22-2009, 01:05 PM
from their website:

"Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60 L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11 L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose! "

is the "measure" the cap? i ask because if 1 cap treats only 15g for chlorine then you would have to use a lot of it wouldn't you? i'm trying to do the math on how much i would have to use but seeing 3 separate measures kind of throws me off

Eddie
12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
hi eddie good find...... how big is your tank and how much would would you add if using a tea or table spoon or are you measuring it out using scales, because acording to the seachem website it looks like you add hardly anything if you have 4ft tank as i have. This would mean i could save loads of money.:D

Dude, I have 4 each 55 gallon tank (100% water change daily), 1 each 50 gallon (100% daily), and 3 each 29 gallon tanks (75-100% daily). Somewhere in the neighborhood of >300 gallons daily, without fail. ;) And yes, LOADS of money.

The instructions on the site say one measure. The spoon that comes with the container is EXTREMELY small. The one kilo container actually gives better measurements.

1/4 tsp treats 200 gallons (treating chlorine)
1/4 tsp treats 250 galloons (treating chloramines)

from their website:

"Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60 L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).
Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11 L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose! "

is the "measure" the cap? i ask because if 1 cap treats only 15g for chlorine then you would have to use a lot of it wouldn't you? i'm trying to do the math on how much i would have to use but seeing 3 separate measures kind of throws me off

Nope Ricardo, see above. ;)

Thx Eddie, I've been using Chroram-X but I like the price and will give it a try!
Dave

Definitely worth it Dave, really worth it. You will be extremely satisfied!

HTH

Eddie

kaceyo
12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
According to the manufacturer a "measure" is 100mg. That's only a tenth of a gram. A quarter tsp of ChlorAm-X weighs .9grams. So the "Safe" is over twice as consentrated.

Kacey

Singularity96
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
i`m happy the safe is working for you eddie

Eddie
12-22-2009, 04:50 PM
i`m happy the safe is working for you eddie

Thanks for the drop Sing, its definitely is the way to go! Even with my daily heavy water changes, its still gonna last me months to a year!

Good call my friend, I owe you a drink! :D

Eddie

Chad Hughes
12-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Eddie,

Thanks for the tip man! You and I change about the same amount of water and any way to cut costs is right up my alley! As soon as I go through my liquid prime, I'm switching. I'm ordering the 4 kilo right now!

Oh, did you notice that it states that if the water temp is above 30c to cut the dose? What does the container say? I read this on a website.

Thanks brother!

Eddie
12-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Eddie,

Thanks for the tip man! You and I change about the same amount of water and any way to cut costs is right up my alley! As soon as I go through my liquid prime, I'm switching. I'm ordering the 4 kilo right now!

Oh, did you notice that it states that if the water temp is above 30c to cut the dose? What does the container say? I read this on a website.

Thanks brother!

Yup Chad, it states that. This was brought up by another member and believe it or not, Prime has the exact same precautions. ;)

Eddie

melon9
12-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I hv been using 'safe' for nearly a year, and it sure lasts a long time, but the only problem is 'caking'. B4 I even finish 1/3 of the bottle, it hardened and I had to literally use a hammer to break them up. Don't u hv such problem? How u resolve?

Jhhnn
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
I'll have to try the Safe- seems like a good buy. Thanks, Eddie.

Caking is likely because of absorbed moisture from the air. Might try using a pack or 2 of silica crystals from a bottle of vitamins or similar. They can be recharged occasionally by putting them in a warm oven to drive off the accumulated moisture...

Eddie
12-22-2009, 11:16 PM
I hv been using 'safe' for nearly a year, and it sure lasts a long time, but the only problem is 'caking'. B4 I even finish 1/3 of the bottle, it hardened and I had to literally use a hammer to break them up. Don't u hv such problem? How u resolve?

Definitely good to know! Havent dealt with that, and to be honest, the stuff must last a life time if its hardening. :o Here in Okinawa it is quite humid so I will have to find a method to keep moisture out.

I'll have to try the Safe- seems like a good buy. Thanks, Eddie.

Caking is likely because of absorbed moisture from the air. Might try using a pack or 2 of silica crystals from a bottle of vitamins or similar. They can be recharged occasionally by putting them in a warm oven to drive off the accumulated moisture...

Good tip on the silica crystals Jhhnn. This SAFE is a dream!

All the best and take care,

Eddie

JL15219
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Hey Eddie,

I went the 4fishstuff.com website to look for the Seachem Safe but could not find it...did they stop selling it or did I just over look it?

diamond_discus
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey Eddie,

I went the 4fishstuff.com website to look for the Seachem Safe but could not find it...did they stop selling it or did I just over look it?

I ordered the last two 1KG bottle last week. (I knew that because I tried to order 3 or 4 bottles but the site showed me that they only have 2 in stock.)

I guess they ran out of stock and removed the item from the website

JL15219
01-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I ordered the last two 1KG bottle last week. (I knew that because I tried to order 3 or 4 bottles but the site showed me that they only have 2 in stock.)

I guess they ran out of stock and removed the item from the website

What Really......:( Guess I just need to wait till they get more in stock....

diamond_discus
01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
What Really......:( Guess I just need to wait till they get more in stock....

You can try a few other places :
http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=AD-SC389
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/Additives/Water-Conditioners/All-In-One-Water-Conditioners/Seachem-Safe-4-kg-88-lbs/
http://heartlandaquariumsupplies.com/pro529639.html

I checked last week. None of them has the 4KG in stock. They do, however, have the 250g one. The guy from HeartLand told me that they might have some 4KG next month. Good luck.;)

JL15219
01-12-2010, 06:29 PM
You can try a few other places :
http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=AD-SC389
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/Additives/Water-Conditioners/All-In-One-Water-Conditioners/Seachem-Safe-4-kg-88-lbs/
http://heartlandaquariumsupplies.com/pro529639.html

I checked last week. None of them has the 4KG in stock. They do, however, have the 250g one. The guy from HeartLand told me that they might have some 4KG next month. Good luck.;)

Thanks for the links but I just want the 1kg size the 4kg seems way too much I might just go with some 250g ones for now....:D

scottishbloke
01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I think I got one of the last 4 kilo buckets out there, from customaquatic. Arrived today :D; took 10 days to get here, but we did have some bad weather across the nation, so it probably took longer than normal to ship. Still pretty quick IMHO- I remember in the UK in my youth, there was always a sentence saying "Allow 28 days for delivery" regarding shipping of most packages, especially big/heavy ones.

One thing to consider is that the average aquarist probably does not spend the best part of $100 on water conditioner all at one time on a single purchase, so the companies selling it likely only keep a few in stock at any one time- a 4kg bucket is probably not normally a big money spinner. Now the good news- the site managers at customaquatic and other places will no doubt take note of this sudden huge increase in demand for a particular product, and order a bunch more in to meet the needs of all you guys who didn't order one in time. Indeed, I think we were lucky that people on other fish forums did not discover this deal before we did- we need this kind of thing the most, as we change water far more often than anyone else IMHO. This kind of deal is like Kenny's Discus- order those special fish quick or you may be out of luck until next time, they sell like hotcakes!!

Cheers Lads, Lasses, etc

Colin

Eddie
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I think I got one of the last 4 kilo buckets out there, from customaquatic. Arrived today :D; took 10 days to get here, but we did have some bad weather across the nation, so it probably took longer than normal to ship. Still pretty quick IMHO- I remember in the UK in my youth, there was always a sentence saying "Allow 28 days for delivery" regarding shipping of most packages, especially big/heavy ones.

One thing to consider is that the average aquarist probably does not spend the best part of $100 on water conditioner all at one time on a single purchase, so the companies selling it likely only keep a few in stock at any one time- a 4kg bucket is probably not normally a big money spinner. Now the good news- the site managers at customaquatic and other places will no doubt take note of this sudden huge increase in demand for a particular product, and order a bunch more in to meet the needs of all you guys who didn't order one in time. Indeed, I think we were lucky that people on other fish forums did not discover this deal before we did- we need this kind of thing the most, as we change water far more often than anyone else IMHO. This kind of deal is like Kenny's Discus- order those special fish quick or you may be out of luck until next time, they sell like hotcakes!!

Cheers Lads, Lasses, etc

Colin

Hey Colin, glad to hear it all arrived. Give some feedback on it, when you get the chance so that others may benefit. Its the most cost effective water conditioner on the market IMO and its just like Prime, the best.

Eddie

seanyuki
01-13-2010, 12:48 AM
I will check with my boss if she can order the Seachem Safe for me......hopefully I can give some feedbacks later on.

Harriett
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM
If you don't have chloromines and you need large quantities of chlorine neutralizer, you could buy sodium thiosulfate in crystal form, from Fishy Farmacy or from D & T Aquarium products, etc for about $5/lb. 1 gram of crystals in distilled water makes a liter of 1% stock solution. Use 1 drop of stock solution to a gallon or two of chlorinated tapwater, and it lasts about forever...
I bought half a pound 3 years ago and just now bought more....I went big and ordered a whole pound: whoohoo!!!
Best regards,
Prime-free Harriett

melon9
01-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Sorry to sound the caution so late. On normal water condition, normal dosage is fine, but there are certain months in the year in sg, when chloramine and chlorine is higher, I need to triple dose. You will just need to monitor your fishes during WC, cos I nearly lost a few tanks of fishes. Double dose during that time didn't help, but triple dose works.

Just to share a word of caution, so now I do triple dosage just to play safe, so how much cost does it save by using triple dosage? I never actually do any calculation.

Eddie
01-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry to sound the caution so late. On normal water condition, normal dosage is fine, but there are certain months in the year in sg, when chloramine and chlorine is higher, I need to triple dose. You will just need to monitor your fishes during WC, cos I nearly lost a few tanks of fishes. Double dose during that time didn't help, but triple dose works.

Just to share a word of caution, so now I do triple dosage just to play safe, so how much cost does it save by using triple dosage? I never actually do any calculation.

Well if you are tripling the dose every time now, buying the 1 kilo container would treat roughly 65,000 gallons. Still 25,000 more gallons than a 2 liter container of Prime which costs the same amount. ;)

Eddie

melon9
01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Well if you are tripling the dose every time now, buying the 1 kilo container would treat roughly 65,000 gallons. Still 25,000 more gallons than a 2 liter container of Prime which costs the same amount. ;)

Eddie

Hahaha, thanks for the calculation, such a headache to do such calculation. So, there is still savings ah, thats great.

RD.
01-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Actually, SAFE neutralizes heavy metals also, which sodium thiosulfate does NOT do. If anyone is dealing with, or knows they have heavy metals. Best to use a product that deals with it.

Just a FYI - Seachem products such as Prime & Safe have a fairly minor effect on heavy metals. Just like all other water conditioners that supposedly detoxify heavy metals, it can only bind trace amounts that are legally allowed by water municipalities. (as in amounts that won't affect your fishes health)

At one time Seachem actually removed that spiel from their labels, and their website, as they were afraid that it could be misleading to consumers. (and obviously it is) These products are not, and should not be used to remove heavy metals. (this according to the CEO of Seachem)

The most important thing to do (even if you have hard water with a high PH) is to let your taps run before adding water to your aquariums. The idea is to NOT use water that has been sitting for an extended period of time (as in overnight) as it will contain higher levels of metals than if it has ran for a period of time. (and been flushed out)

So Harriett, keep using the sodium thiosulfate, for strictly chlorine removal it's about 100 x cheaper than Safe, and just as effective. :)

Eddie
01-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Just a FYI - Seachem products such as Prime & Safe have a fairly minor effect on heavy metals. Just like all other water conditioners that supposedly detoxify heavy metals, it can only bind trace amounts that are legally allowed by water municipalities. (as in amounts that won't affect your fishes health)

At one time Seachem actually removed that spiel from their labels, and their website, as they were afraid that it could be misleading to consumers. (and obviously it is) These products are not, and should not be used to remove heavy metals. (this according to the CEO of Seachem)

The most important thing to do (even if you have hard water with a high PH) is to let your taps run before adding water to your aquariums. The idea is to NOT use water that has been sitting for an extended period of time (as in overnight) as it will contain higher levels of metals than if it has ran for a period of time. (and been flushed out)

So Harriett, keep using the sodium thiosulfate, for strictly chlorine removal it's about 100 x cheaper than Safe, and just as effective. :)

Also, cant you just use ST and the chlorine would be dealt with, in Chloramines but the left over ammonia would need to be dealt with? Or is this just in some dechlor products? I mean if people just have chlorine in their water, an even cheaper method would be to not use ANY product and just age/aerate the water to remove the chlorine. :o

Eddie

RD.
01-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Yep, one could use ST with chloramine, but you'd still need to deal with the resulting free ammonia. While aging water might be cheaper, that would depend on the amount of hydro that is required to keep the water temp stable at 82-86F. Also, not everyone wants, or for that matter even has the extra space to store hundreds of gallons of aged water. :)

JL15219
01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I was checking the description on this product and it says detoxifies nitrite and nitrate but in a planted tank you need some nitrate for the plants....does any one have experience using this in a planted tank? Does it mess with the nitrate levels?

RD.
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Detoxifies yes, but it doesn't remove them. Millions of people world-wide use Prime/Safe in their planted tanks, not to worry. :)

JL15219
01-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Which would last longer the 1kg of safe or 9lbs of Start Right....just for general water changes? Thanks for the quick response...:D

RD.
01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
That would depend on a number of factors, the main one being what your local water supply uses to disinfect your water. There's another thread on this subject in the water works folder, you might want to give it a read.

HTH

JL15219
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Oh okay thanks a bunch......

diamond_discus
01-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Received my two 1KG Safe .. working great. These two bottles will last for a long while

Eddie
01-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Received my two 1KG Safe .. working great. These two bottles will last for a long while

Told you man, these are the ticket! Lots of cost saving and still all the benefits of using Prime!

Take care,

Eddie

diamond_discus
01-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Told you man, these are the ticket! Lots of cost saving and still all the benefits of using Prime!

Take care,

Eddie

Hey Eddie, did you say yours come with a measuring device ? Mine doesn't .. I only have a 1/4 tsp spoon. Need to find something smaller, like 1/8 or 1/16 tsp (for smaller tank). Any idea ?

Eddie
01-24-2010, 05:21 AM
Hey Eddie, did you say yours come with a measuring device ? Mine doesn't .. I only have a 1/4 tsp spoon. Need to find something smaller, like 1/8 or 1/16 tsp (for smaller tank). Any idea ?

Mine came with a tiny white spoon but I threw it out. I use a 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, since the majority of my tanks are 55. For my 29 and 20 breeders, I just WAG it, using half of the 1/4 tsp spoon. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

MGKelly
03-01-2010, 03:01 AM
I can't find the Seachem Safe 1 kilo container for sale anywhere.

Any leads on who would have some?

Joe

diamond_discus
03-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I can't find the Seachem Safe 1 kilo container for sale anywhere.

Any leads on who would have some?

Joe

Try here :
http://www.4fishstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_153&products_id=1284&osCsid=c6cb446af84d0f83e942e6649a369211

MGKelly
03-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Try here :
http://www.4fishstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_153&products_id=1284&osCsid=c6cb446af84d0f83e942e6649a369211

Thanks!!!!, Joe

utiliy
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
i been using prime, well-for years. but just paid 30 bucks for 3 500 ml bottles...when i could of bought the safe...
is it just as easy to use as the prime?
did a little reading and it says dont overdose..

Eddie
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
i been using prime, well-for years. but just paid 30 bucks for 3 500 ml bottles...when i could of bought the safe...
is it just as easy to use as the prime?
did a little reading and it says dont overdose..

Oh yeah, been using it for the past couple months. It also states not to overdose on Prime. Its well worth the money and the savings are unbelievable! I would have already bought another gallon of Prime and haven't even put a dent a in the 1 kilo of Safe. ;)

Eddie

scottishbloke
03-03-2010, 12:45 AM
I am also using SAFE, and Eddie is totally right, it works wonderfully and will probably last until my fish die of old age. I got a 4kg bucket around Xmas, and split it 50/50 with another forum user. I then put about 1 lb into a smaller jar for ease of use (the bucket lid is really hard to get off), and doing 100% WCs every couple of days has not made even a tiny dent in it. I thoroughly recommend this product, it is great and will save you $$$$. The bucket did not come with a measuring spoon, but I simply use a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon when doing WCs on my 90g.

My 2 cents,

Colin

rickztahone
03-03-2010, 12:49 AM
the only reason i haven't bought the safe is due to the directions, it is confusing. i wouldn't know what to dose according to those directions. you know how Prime just says use the cap full for 50g? i wish the safe was that easy to dose and i would have bought it long ago.

Eddie
03-03-2010, 12:52 AM
the only reason i haven't bought the safe is due to the directions, it is confusing. i wouldn't know what to dose according to those directions. you know how Prime just says use the cap full for 50g? i wish the safe was that easy to dose and i would have bought it long ago.

Ricardo, the 1 kilo container states 1/4 tsp per 50 gallons. Its very easy to use and not any issues in any of my tanks, to include fry tanks. ;)

Eddie

rickztahone
03-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Ricardo, the 1 kilo container states 1/4 tsp per 50 gallons. Its very easy to use and not any issues in any of my tanks, to include fry tanks. ;)

Eddie

a 1/4tsp/50g? :shocked:. that is such a small amount. again, it's the directions that through me off, but if it as easy as that method then i have no qualms about using it. is there a smaller size than the 1 Kilo? that seems over-kill in my particular case.

Eddie
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM
a 1/4tsp/50g? :shocked:. that is such a small amount. again, it's the directions that through me off, but if it as easy as that method then i have no qualms about using it. is there a smaller size than the 1 Kilo? that seems over-kill in my particular case.

Yes, they do have a smaller amount available. Not sure where to get it in the smaller containers though.

Eddie

diamond_discus
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
The Safe powder is really great. I am also using 1/4 tsp for 50 to 55 gallon.
I tried to buy the 4KG bucket but nobody have that in stock. So I brought two 1KG bottles ... This is going to last me for a very long time. I still have some prime left that I use for my smaller breeding tank.

A lot of places do carry a 250g .. but I think it's more economical to get at least the 1KG. Shipping cost for Safe is much less than Prime.

phat nguyen
03-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Hello everyone,
You can get the 4 kgs Safe at dtpetsupplies.com for $72.99. They should have the product in about three more weeks.
I ordered mine in early Feb. but will get it by mid-late March. The product is out of stock at the moment.
This should last you a very long time.

Best wishes,

Perry

toannhat
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Hi Eddie, I'm new here, and read alot of your valuable comments - Thanks
When you said you change atleast 300gallons / day, I just wonder how do you age 300 g of water?
Just add tap water to the tank and add Seachem SAFE in there ?
Thanks

Eddie
03-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Hi Eddie, I'm new here, and read alot of your valuable comments - Thanks
When you said you change atleast 300gallons / day, I just wonder how do you age 300 g of water?
Just add tap water to the tank and add Seachem SAFE in there ?
Thanks

Thanks, I fill straight from tap. I drain the tank, add SAFE and fill with tap water that has been adjusted to the same temp as the tank. ;)

All the best,

Eddie

utiliy
03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
looks like ill be buying the seachem safe! the directions on it also threw me off...add a little for this...add a little for that...i was like WOW...and then not to overdose...but since it is as easy like the prime...ill be buying me some...thx for the imput!

William Palumbo
03-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I had to ask Eddie a few questions myself, and he pointed out Prime has some of the same warnings that I never saw in all my years using it. I just started using my Safe this past weekend, and it's working well, it smells, but works!... and I can tell...it will last a LONG time. Thanks Eddie...Bill

Eddie
03-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I had to ask Eddie a few questions myself, and he pointed out Prime has some of the same warnings that I never saw in all my years using it. I just started using my Safe this past weekend, and it's working well, it smells, but works!... and I can tell...it will last a LONG time. Thanks Eddie...Bill

Anytime Bill, always trying to help others out. ;)

Take care my friend!

Eddie

RD.
03-05-2010, 02:28 AM

Before you can calculate how much Safe to use, you need to know what your local tap water is treated with, and at what levels. As in chlorine, or chloramine, and at what ppm/mg/l. If you don't know, my advice would be to find out from your local water municipality or water treatment facility.

It's not as simplistic as adding 1/4 tsp per 50 gallons, anymore that it is adding 1 capful of Prime for every 50 gallons. Those are just reference points supplied by Seachem, at set mg/l levels of chlorine/chloramine.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

As an example, if your tap water contains 2 mg/l of chlorine, then 1/8 of a tsp will treat 50 gallons of tap water. 1 tsp will treat 400 gallons of tap water @ 2mg/l chlorine.

If your tap water contains 2 mg/l of chloramine, less than 1/8 tsp will treat 50 gallons. 1 tsp will treat 500 gallons of tap water @ 2 mg/l chloramine.

HTH

blkrob
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Does anyone have another site to purchase it from? Seems to out everywhere.

Thanks

Robert

Eddie
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks

Robert

I'd hold out and find out when 4fishstuff.com will get it back in. Honestly, I would check to see if you could order it now, and just have them send it out when it does come in. Its worth its weight in GOLD!!

Eddie

blkrob
03-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the reply and insight. I sent them a email. I'll post their reply. This may be the 2nd thing I have that's worth it's wgt. in gold! The 1st is the wife.:D I'm planning for the discus.

Robert

blkrob
03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
They replied early this a.m. Back in stock now. I just ordered a couple.

Robert

Eddie
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
They replied early this a.m. Back in stock now. I just ordered a couple.

Robert

;)

joanr
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
They have good pricing on the gallon containers of Prime also. I just ordered the Safe and the Prime. Should last a few years...lol

steakman
09-04-2011, 06:50 AM

Thanks

Robert

You can find them cheaper here, and it's still available as of today, 9/3/2011:

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/SAFE_1KG___2_2_LBS-P147160.html

I looked back at my receipt. It cost me $27.96 last year ...

Now it's listed for only $26.56 ... wth?

lipadj46
09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
or you can get it from kensfish for 23.95 for 1 kg or 4 kg for 76.95