PDA

View Full Version : Tail whipping

Bizzaro
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Is tail whipping good or bad? I put two of my fish that I'm sure have it out for each other. After month o both them bein peacefully in a new tank (I split them up 4/2) now they are all in the same tank n now the old fish are missbehaving

Eddie
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Is tail whipping good or bad? I put two of my fish that I'm sure have it out for each other. After month o both them bein peacefully in a new tank (I split them up 4/2) now they are all in the same tank n now the old fish are missbehaving

Its fine, thats what they do. ;)

Eddie

Bizzaro
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Also theirs a little lip bitting. It's back n forth.

Eddie
12-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Also theirs a little lip bitting. It's back n forth.

Yup, thats normal too.

mmorris
12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Its fine, thats what they do. ;)

Eddie
How many fish are in the tank? If it is just the two of them, one may have a problem.

Eddie
12-22-2009, 02:18 AM
How many fish are in the tank? If it is just the two of them, one may have a problem.

Doubt it, they are cichlids. Do you recommend separating them?

I'd be concerned if there was physical damage but for lip-locking, tail whipping and chasing. Nothing to fret about. If someone was concerned about this behavior, guppies would be the way to go.

Eddie

mmorris
12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I think it is well understood that discus do best in groups. If there are only two and they are un-paired, one may be intimidated to the point of death through stress and inability to feed. I recommend keeping un-paired discus in a group.