PDA

View Full Version : discus are jumpy and scared !

marlboro555
12-22-2009, 05:44 AM
hi guys .... my discuss usually stayed in front of the tank when i sitting close t0 tank while feeding them ..n if i put hand in the water they were not scared......

but now they r hiding and very jumpy when i approach the tank ..but when im not around the tank they r swimin in front n eating normaly but as soon go toward the tank they start runin to there hiding places.. they were not like that at all........they r acting like this from this week.. the only mistake i did was...

last sat night i forgot to turn off the light for whole night...n sunday night i turn off the light and on monday in morning i turn on the light .. they were running n jumpy ...as i will eat them all.....then on monday i change water 20%....

but now they not jumpy.. just keep on hidin ..when i approch them ...when no ones is around the tank .. they r swimin around n eating ..as i can see from far side on my room.....

so r they just got sacred... or how to relax them , n how to gain the trust back ...

tank size 150 gal
planted
total 10 discuss

Schergeil
12-22-2009, 05:54 AM
hi guys .... my discuss usually stayed in front of the tank when i sitting close t0 tank while feeding them ..n if i put hand in the water they were not scared......

but now they r hiding and very jumpy when i approach the tank ..but when im not around the tank they r swimin in front n eating normaly but as soon go toward the tank they start runin to there hiding places.. they were not like that at all........they r acting like this from this week.. the only mistake i did was...

last sat night i forgot to turn off the light for whole night...n sunday night i turn off the light and on monday in morning i turn on the light .. they were running n jumpy ...as i will eat them all.....then on monday i change water 20%....

but now they not jumpy.. just keep on hidin ..when i approch them ...when no ones is around the tank .. they r swimin around n eating ..as i can see from far side on my room.....

so r they just got sacred... or how to relax them , n how to gain the trust back ...

tank size 150 gal
planted
total 10 discuss

Hi,

Keep your lights switched on for about a day or two, & feed less. This way they will become used to it. They usually do this when the light is turned on and off at various intervals....with not a certain scheduled routine.

marlboro555
12-22-2009, 06:56 AM
thx for ur suggestion ... but r u saying that i should turn on the lights continuously day n night for 2 dayz ??

smiley
12-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Yah the idea is to bring them out into the open even when there is light or when you are around...and the only way is to keep them looking out for food and make them feel that you are the "Source" of food :)

I have even heard of avoiding darker clothes while approaching the tank...Maybe you could try that too

Schergeil
12-22-2009, 08:23 AM
thx for ur suggestion ... but r u saying that i should turn on the lights continuously day n night for 2 dayz ??

Yup, that is exactly what I'm saying... It would get them used to the light and you while feeding... Fish go nuts when they are hungry and will compromise even if the light is switched on and see you giving them some good bites:):)

Schergeil
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
How old are the discus, what is their size and what other varieties you have in the tank? What is the aquarium decor and where is it situated exactly?

mmorris
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
It sounds like it might be a water quality issue. What is your water change regime? How much and how often? Are you adding anything to the tank? CO2, ferts?

phat nguyen
12-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Hello,
It might be with the water quality.Mmorris could be right on the target. I was told that during the winter or the rain season , the water's company would add in lots of other chemicals to upkeep the quality of our water.The result might be harmful to our discus.
The solution would be double to triple dose of Prime/water conditioner... and age your water for more than 12 hours.
This is based on my experiences with my discus .
Good luck.

Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

Aquaben19
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello,
It might be with the water quality.Mmorris could be right on the target. I was told that during the winter or the rain season , the water's company would add in lots of other chemicals to upkeep the quality of our water.The result might be harmful to our discus.
The solution would be double to triple dose of Prime/water conditioner... and age your water for more than 12 hours.
This is based on my experiences with my discus .
Good luck.

Perry Nguyen :angel: :angel: :angel:

I have to Agree with Perry and Martha. I never have any problems with my water at all straight from the tap, aged, and adding prime. I have noticed that since it started snowing my water from the tap smells like chlorine.. So check with your water department to see if anything is added extra during the winter months...

Ben