PDA

View Full Version : discus sick....again

allasorte
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I have had some questions answered here and I appreciate the help. I have also answered some as well. So here it is:

I have a female pigeon blood who has been recently not eating, thin, lifeless, and a little fin rot. I have added nothing to my tank. The temp. is 85, some live plants, and water changes religious twice if not three times per week. I have had her and her partner for over a year in a 55 gallon tank. I also have 3 plecos, 1 cory, and 10 cardinals and prestilas combined. I noticed she was ill and decided to go with Aquari-Sol since some people say it is mild on tetras. Within 24 hours it killed 4 tetras so I did a 50% water change.

As for her, I did a 5 day cycle of Melafix and Pimafix after the Aquari-Sol. She got her color back and looked much better. I started PraziPro today since she looks pale and sickly again. Gave her a salt bath earlier, and I am contemplating adding Melafix and Pimafix again. So...what shall I do and is Aquari-Sol worthless? Thanks.

Eddie
12-23-2009, 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear about the PB female. The hardest thing to do IMO, is to successfully treat discus in a community tank. I'd move her to a QT tank for better observation, and treatment if necessary. At this point, it seems like you have been switching around alot of different chemicals. I dont use melafix or pimafix as there are better more potent chemicals for disease treatment. I have zero experience with Aquarisol but I've heard it can be effective. How effective it is in a community tank is the question.

Maybe get the female in a QT, good air/clean water and maybe a little salt. This is just my opinion.

HTH

Eddie

allasorte
12-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Thanks! The Aqui-Sol I heard was good as well, but then again, not for tetras it seems. But it was cheap. I've read enough about not jumping the gun on medicating and being patient to see what happens. Everything has been fine for over a year, so I did jump the gun because of the holiday. Meaning, I will not be around and I will have someone who has no idea what is going on watching my fish.

True the Melafix and Pimafix are not the best choices for effectiveness, but they are less harmful and I have had descent results in the past. Furan-2 and PraziPro have worked great for me, I just didn't want to medicate with something more serious. But then I used the Prazi because of my holiday problem and it will last 5-7 days without adding more doses. Doing water changes has worked the best it seems. Her color comes back and she seems better, but later on she just sits at the bottom. We will see.

Eddie
12-23-2009, 12:41 AM
These were my thoughts also, just good clean water will probably fix the fin issues. Sounds like it may be a small combination of things and at the moment, super clean water is the first line of defense. ;)

Sorry to hear about the tetras. :(

HTH

Eddie

Richy44
12-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Sorry to but in..Eddie I just noticed your avatar..:) Cute!

Rick..

Eddie
12-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Sorry to but in..Eddie I just noticed your avatar..:) Cute!

Rick..

LOL, thanks Rick.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Eddie