PDA

View Full Version : My city water has changed!

Disgirl
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I just found out yesterday that our city is using a new deep aquifer to provide water to us. The old aquifer, which was running low, had soft and alkaline water with only chlorine added. The new water is hard, alkaline and they add chlorine plus chloramines now :(:(. Been going on for 2 weeks and I had no idea until a paper came in the mail about it YESTERDAY. I do a 50% wc daily and use Prime. So far, my discus show no problems, thank heavens. Other than using Prime with each wc, and how much extra do I add, is there anything else I need to know? My fish are all 12-14 mo. old and raised in the old water we used to have. I have had them since 2" or less in size. I have called the water dept. but of course "leave a message" is all I get. Thanks for advice.
Barb:(

David Rose
12-23-2009, 10:31 AM
What are you new water parameters Barb? pH, TDS, GH, and KH You should be fine in regards to the chlorine and chlorimines given you add Prime before refilling the tank, so I would be more interested in knowing how hard your water is now.

With your water change routine, you would have adjusted them to the new pH and Hardness, but your current tests will help determine if you have anything to worry about should you decide to breed or if the hardness is very high.

Jhhnn
12-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Because you've been using prime all along, you really don't need to change anything. Just carry on as usual, following the directions on the label.

Your situation is a great example of why public water hobbyists need to use prime or similar. We're definitely a forgotten minority to providers, who have greater concerns wrt public health and safety, and who try to to the best they can with what they've got. Things change.

Harder water may have an effect on breeding, on egg hatching, which is something you'll have to figure out when you get there...

CliffsDiscus
12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Check for ph crashing, this seems to happen when the utilities are working with the pipes.

Cliff

mikel
12-23-2009, 06:48 PM
If she does 50% daily wc, does she really need to worry about possible ph crash? mike

Disgirl
12-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info. guys. The water co. still won't call me back. I have questions for them :mad:. I tested the tap water and the ph is still 7.6 like before. But the hardness has gone from 18 to 250 by my API test kit for hardness. From really soft to african cichlid water. I sure hope my discus can take it. Fortunately I don't want them to breed and don't want to raise fry. I did that years ago so don't need to do it again. No place to sell or give them away around this area anyway. I just want my 12 discus to remain healthy and pretty. Do I still do wc's every night as usual, 50%? Can't stop that.
Barb :(

Jhhnn
12-23-2009, 08:53 PM
People keep domestic discus in water a lot harder than that, disgirl. For your purposes, it should do just fine.

Disgirl
12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks! I won't worry so much now.
Barb :)