PDA

View Full Version : Smallest Discus Hanging out in the back...alone

Smiladon
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I got 6 Discus 10 days ago.

2 x Blue Diamonds (3.5" AA Grade)
2 x Red Turks (~4")
2 x LSS (4" and a 3.4")

The smallest one is the LSS who is a little bit smaller than a 3.5" and he is always hanging out in the back corner of the tank and doesn't eat much. The others are gorging themselves with the blood worms I feed everyday.

Is this behaviour something common? Will that fish be OK?

FYI one of the Red Turk seems to be the boss of the pecking order, followed by the other Red Turk.

Eddie
12-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear. It should be okay but if it gets too bad, like physical damage or sickness, may need to move it to a QT tank. Maybe just stressed from the new move and the bully turq.

All the best and Merry Christmas,

Eddie

Singin4Cnu
12-24-2009, 10:07 AM
In my experience, when dealing with new fish, do not over analyze their behavior right after you get them. It has taken some of mine up to two weeks to fully settle in and act normally (eating properly, fins fully erect, develop a normal pecking order, etc.). It often seems that my smallest fish ends up ruling the tank as well:o!

Just my experience,

~Singin4cnu

Smiladon
12-25-2009, 11:31 PM
In my experience, when dealing with new fish, do not over analyze their behavior right after you get them. It has taken some of mine up to two weeks to fully settle in and act normally (eating properly, fins fully erect, develop a normal pecking order, etc.). It often seems that my smallest fish ends up ruling the tank as well:o!

Just my experience,

~Singin4cnu

Point noted.

It just seemed weird that initially all of them were hanging out together (because of stress), but now the smallest one seems to be always in the back corner of the tank. He is always in the same spot every time I look. All other fish are eating the blood worms vigorously, but this one is not eating at all.

I did notice occasional darkening of the small guy, but most of the time his colors are fine (no signs of stress?:confused:)

Eddie
12-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Are there other tankmates? What is the tank temperature?

Greg6585
12-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Point noted.

It just seemed weird that initially all of them were hanging out together (because of stress), but now the smallest one seems to be always in the back corner of the tank. He is always in the same spot every time I look. All other fish are eating the blood worms vigorously, but this one is not eating at all.

I did notice occasional darkening of the small guy, but most of the time his colors are fine (no signs of stress?:confused:)

I am also having the same exact issue except for the darkening. It's driving me up a wall:confused:

I have 8 Discus in my tank (75g) w/ 10 Rummy's. 1 B.Diamond's, 1 A.Rainbow, 2 B.Turks's, 1 P.Blood, 1 YF. Red Melon, 1 R. Leopard, and 1 R. Turk. All are around the same size, 3.5"-4". The temp is kept between 83-84. The Blue Diamond appears to be the boss of the tank.

They have all been in the tank for about 2-3 months, all purchased at the same time. All were hanging out together in the beginning but now the Red Turk is being picked on and forced to stay in the back of the tank. When I feed, they all race over to feast on the meal except for the Red Turk, so I send some food back to the Red Turk and he does eat, but just a little.

No injuries to the Red Turk have been noticed.