PDA

View Full Version : Condusing Water?

MGKelly
12-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I just started a cycle in my 55g. tank and tested the water once i was done.
I used mardel test kit and i'm a bit confused on the hardness and PPM readings.
Are the hardness, PPM and Ammonia readings OK? After searching and reading some old post something tells it's not ideal. what should I belooking for in hardness and PPm and how can the ammonia reading be 0.5 with tap water?

thnx, Joe

Nitrate = 10
Nitraite = 0
Hardness = 200
PPM = 100
PH = 7.4
Ammonia = 0.5

Eddie
12-23-2009, 09:55 PM
I just started a cycle in my 55g. tank and tested the water once i was done.
I used mardel test kit and i'm a bit confused on the hardness and PPM readings.
Are the hardness, PPM and Ammonia readings OK? After searching and reading some old post something tells it's not ideal. what should I belooking for in hardness and PPm and how can the ammonia reading be 0.5 with tap water?

thnx, Joe

Nitrate = 10
Nitraite = 0
Hardness = 200
PPM = 100
PH = 7.4
Ammonia = 0.5

I wouldn't worry about hardness. Are you doing a fishless cycle?

MGKelly
12-24-2009, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't worry about hardness. Are you doing a fishless cycle?

Eddie,

Yes i'm starting a fishless cycle.

Thnx, Joe

David Rose
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Joe,

It would be a good idea to track your test results. At the beginning, every couple of days is fine, but when you see Nitrites reach a high point then start to go down, daily would be good. These results may come in handy later. Maybe even document it here on SD.

Ammonia
NitrItes
NitrAtes

Best of luck!

Willie
12-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Hardness is measured in microsiemens and is usually 2X ppm value, so those numbers look right. Essentially you have naturally soft water, perfect for discus breeding. Your pH values may drop after 1 - 2 days in the tank.

Nitrate looks high unless you're doing a fishless cycle or live in a rural area. Nitrate > 20 ppm would be a problem for infants.

Willie

MGKelly
12-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Joe,

It would be a good idea to track your test results. At the beginning, every couple of days is fine, but when you see Nitrites reach a high point then start to go down, daily would be good. These results may come in handy later. Maybe even document it here on SD.

Ammonia
NitrItes
NitrAtes

Best of luck!

thanks David, I'm going to keep a log and also going to add the AmmonChlor today. Also have a product i'd like to try called "Aqua Gold" by National Fish Pharmaceuticals, but will try one at a time as i need to get this tank cycled A.S.A.P.

Joe

MGKelly
12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Hardness is measured in microsiemens and is usually 2X ppm value, so those numbers look right. Essentially you have naturally soft water, perfect for discus breeding. Your pH values may drop after 1 - 2 days in the tank.

Nitrate looks high unless you're doing a fishless cycle or live in a rural area. Nitrate > 20 ppm would be a problem for infants.

Willie

Thanks Willie,

It's good to know i have soft water and i'm going to retest today. Hopefully the PH does go down a little. I just started my fishless cycle yesterday and live in a urban area, the Nitrate level was straight from the faucet.

Joe

David Rose
12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure there is anyway to rush a fishless cycle.

The only quick way I know to get a tank cycled is to get a culture from a pet shot or another tank, but that's a gamble that may introduce parasites or pathogens from whatever was in that tank.

You should be cycled safely with the fishless cycle in about five weeks.

MGKelly
12-24-2009, 06:24 PM
when i tested the tank today i had.

nitrates = 10
nitrites = 0
hardness = 200
PPM = 100
PH = 7.2
Ammonia = 1.0

after adding AmmonChlor - Ammonia = 5.0

I'm curious at how the PH went down to 7.2 and Ammonia went up to 1.0 on its own?

Willie was right about the PH going down.

thanks, Joe