PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that are computer savy.

Scribbles
12-24-2009, 12:51 AM
So I was running my backup last night and the disk popped out of the tray and is wandering around somewhere inside my computer. :( I can't see it when I open the disk holder thingy. The computer seems to be working ok. Should I be worried about it? My brother told me to take the bottom off of the computer to get it out but this sounds like a bad idea to me. Couldn't something important fall out or jiggle out of place?

Chris

kirkp
12-24-2009, 01:41 AM
You saying that the disk (CD/DVD?) popped out of the disk drive? I'm not a expert but I don't think that's possible. Can't say though what might of happened to it otherwise.

David Rose
12-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Hi Chris, (if you're logged on and reading this message...THAT'S A GOOD THING...LOL)

Sounds like your DVD/CD disk drive is either out of alignment or may be loose. Sometimes those drives just pop out quickly as well and this is a one in a million chance issue.

I'm assuming you have a "desktop" style (a square box that sits on the floor) computer? If so, the outside usually has a panel that is made to slide upward to expose the inside. It may just be one of the longer sides of the desktop or sometimes it's the entire case cover except for the front that will slide upward. Depending on style and age of your computer, it may also have screws that may need to be removed in order to slide the outer casing upward.

Regardless, if you can get the cover off, you will see everything is pretty well secured inside and unless it's a Compaq computer there is maneuvering room. You should be able to see the disk easily and remove it. Just be careful not to bump any wires or jostle anything loose. Not so easy to do anyway. Make sure you unplug your computer first!

If by chance the disk doesn't appear to be easily removed, I would just leave it until your brother comes to visit and let him retrieve it for you. :D It's unlikely that the disk will hurt anything in the meantime. If it's just a normal recordable CD/DVD, just make a new back up in the meantime.

If you PM me or tell me the make and model of your computer, I can give you more specifics about the cover etc.

Take care,
David

Scribbles
12-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info David! I have a Toshiba laptop and it looks like the bottom will just unscrew. Electrical things just don't like me. LOL.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

David Rose
12-25-2009, 10:02 AM
I certainly understand; especially, like lap tops and close fit designed computers of any kind.

Taking all the screws out is the easy part, but if you decide to move forward, gently separate the bottom from the top only about 3/4" to start and shine a light between to check out for any possible short wire connections between to be safe and locate your DVD/CD disk. It should be laying loose and you might be able to just tip your lop top upright to allow it to gently slide out or use a pair of tweezers to remove it. Remember to unplug and take the battery out of your lap top first.

MSD
12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
If you've never worked on a laptop before, don't start now. Even repair shops send them out for service to the Manufacturer. I personally don't see where a disk could go inside a cramped laptop, but strange things happen and a laptop CD is a very loose affair. Use the computer, let someone with experience fix it.

Scribbles
12-26-2009, 12:37 AM
If you've never worked on a laptop before, don't start now. Even repair shops send them out for service to the Manufacturer. I personally don't see where a disk could go inside a cramped laptop, but strange things happen and a laptop CD is a very loose affair. Use the computer, let someone with experience fix it.

Hmmm...I do have to pick something up at Best Buy, maybe I'll see how much the Geek Squad would charge to get the disk out.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Chris

yim11
12-26-2009, 12:50 AM
You saying that the disk (CD/DVD?) popped out of the disk drive? I'm not a expert but I don't think that's possible. Can't say though what might of happened to it otherwise.

I have to agree, there is no room physically on a laptop for a CD/DVD to fall 'into'. Are you sure it didn't fall on to the floor/desk or just out of the drive? Any chance you forgot to put the CD in when you started the backup? I've had that happen also.

HTHs,
-jim

MGKelly
12-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Chris,

I agree with Jim, it is nearly impossible for the CD drive to fully open with a CD still in the drive. If the drive opens completely get a flashlight and take a look in the drive for the CD. What I think happened is the backup started and the CDROM drive opened prompting you for a disc/CD.

Before you take it to the geek squad try putting another CD in the drive and gently closing the drive. "IF" the drive closes with no resistance, try to start another backup.

I've never seen a disk get caught in a laptop and the drive still open, especially on it's own.

hope it helps, Joe

MSD
12-26-2009, 11:08 AM
The only place it could possibly get stuck is in the upper section of the drive, but that is highly unlikely. If it has a warranty with the geek Squad let them look, or else try to run a disk without forcing it. If it runs there is no disk inside.

Scribbles
12-27-2009, 05:36 AM
I thought that a CD couldn't escape into a laptop either but I know that I put one in the drive (if that is what the disk tray is called). The backup started then stopped and opened the drive again asking me to put in a cd or dvd so I put in another. The backup ran as usual exept that I thought that it usually made some noise when burning a disk. Afterward the "c" key didn't work. It felt like something was under it keeping the key from going down. I turned off the computer and tipped it toward the drive and the key worked again. I looked up what to do on google and apparently it depends on what model the computer is and some say fix it and some don't. As you can tell I know NOTHING about computers. I just don't trust anything that doesn't have self preservation as it's primary function. I just don't want to damage anything.

Chris

David Rose
12-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Certainly understandable Chris if you want to take it in to have a professional look at it. I'm just too cheap though and over the years of having to work with IT department heads, I've learned a lot and can do most anything on my own regarding hardware and have yet to get stumped on software errors. I must just have a nack.

I love HP and Toshiba laptops and have both. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Scribbles
12-28-2009, 06:18 AM
I need to find a computers for even dumber dummies book. :o I've had this computer for a year and it still intimidates me. I did call the Geeks and was told to just let it be. Thank you for all of your help guys!

Chris

MGKelly
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Chris,

So your last backup ran successfully?

Joe

I need to find a computers for even dumber dummies book. :o I've had this computer for a year and it still intimidates me. I did call the Geeks and was told to just let it be. Thank you for all of your help guys!

Chris

Scribbles
12-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Chris,

So your last backup ran successfully?

Joe

I guess so. I put in a disk and the computer gave it back after a bit.

Chris

rickztahone
12-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Chris

not the best advise i've ever heard that's for sure.

Scribbles
12-29-2009, 03:43 AM
not the best advise i've ever heard that's for sure.

Well damn! Any suggestions on a basic computer book for clueless people? I have Vista for Dummies but it assumes that you know something about computers. Guess that I also need a spelling book because I just noticed that I misspelled savvy. :o

Chris

Wahter
12-31-2009, 10:26 PM
Well damn! Any suggestions on a basic computer book for clueless people? I have Vista for Dummies but it assumes that you know something about computers. Guess that I also need a spelling book because I just noticed that I misspelled savvy. :o

Chris

My parents took some intro to computer classes at their local community college.

If you use Firefox as your web browser (instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer), it has a built-in spell checker).

Hope that helps,

Walter

Scribbles
01-03-2010, 03:21 AM
My parents took some intro to computer classes at their local community college.

If you use Firefox as your web browser (instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer), it has a built-in spell checker).

Hope that helps,

Walter

Thanks Walter! The classes are a great idea. I think that the local library might offer some computer classes.

Chris