PDA

View Full Version : When to Get Discus? - Timing is Everything :)

Sharkbait
12-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Believe it or not...I've been part of this forum for a while now..and even before so, have been researching, waiting, and preparing for the big discus purchase.

My 90 gallon planted has reached a mature level that I am comfortable will be adequate for 6 adult discus. Still thinking about strains...I probably will change my mind again before I finally make my order ;)

My question is...with my upcoming wedding in July, and a possible move to my first house in the upcoming year...should I wait until everything is settled before placing my order? I've been patient for a long time and am at a point where I just need a good smack to stay patient because I've been so anxious to get these fish.

Obviously I don't want to stress the fish. So going on a honeymoon for two weeks and moving (hopefully for the last time for a while)...I'd rather not stress them out. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to not having to move my tank for a good 5 years. And even after the move, the tank would have to settle and "re-mature."

What do you guys do when you move? The longest move I had was 5 hours for the tank alone...(tear down, plants, substrate, catching schools of fish, equipment, etc.)

Don't mind me...just venting...and trying to rationalize waiting until the time is right when I'm settled into my house...which could be another year. Could you guys wait?? lol.

David Rose
12-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I dont' think there is a right answer to this one....LOL! That said, keeping discus is more challenging and the first six months can be challenging with getting things right, getting into a routine, getting the tank to look just right. Is it better to get this out of the way now and focus on being newlyweds in July going foward? Especially if it's only a possible move and if you will have someone that can be trained to discus sit during the honey moon.

Either way, get your fiance involved and have something to share after the wedding given you'll have a mistress compteing for your time in the form of discus after the wedding...LOL

My two cents :)

mmorris
12-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Jeez Louise, get the fish already. Do you really think you will never have another trip away from home the rest of your life, or that this move will be the last? We all take holidays, and we move! So get the fish already.

DiscusKeeper403
12-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Agree with the others. Get the fish :D Moving the fish isn't a huge choir, especially in comparison to moving into your first house!

David Rose
12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
We all take holidays, and we move! So get the fish already.

We do? I'm married to my discus :p

mmorris
12-25-2009, 08:06 PM
We do? I'm married to my discus :p

:D:D

Scribbles
12-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, holiday you say? I think that I went on one 10 or so years ago for a couple of days. Get the fish already! There will always be something going on in your life so JUST DO IT! Hans may still have his special going on for adults.

Chris

zamboniMan
12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd wait until after the wedding but that's just me. I hate trying to move fish/tanks. I just think it'd be one less thing to worry about. Though you have already been much more patient than I would have been able to be.

It's a hard choice. Good luck!

tcmemphisbbq
12-26-2009, 12:29 AM
ide get the fish lol a 12 pack and a couple friends will make easy work of moving the tank :)

fishorama
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm all for gratification postponement but geez! Get the fish, you've waited long enough!

smiley
12-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Go get it...Welcome them to their new heaven :)