PDA

View Full Version : My discus has white feces like cotton

eicas
12-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Everybody please help. My discus comes out white feces which is long and cotton like for weeks.
Around its belly, something is swelling up, if touch, I feel it a little bit hard.
I treated her in 3 days with Metro but no helps.
I need all of your advices.
Thanks.

mmorris
12-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Hex is only one reason for white feces. It could be bacterial or stomach lining (from not eating) as well. What dosage metro were you using? I recommend adding epsom salts to the water to see if you can clean out some blockage.

scuba guy
12-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Are they eating?

If they are you can treat with Metronidazole soaked food (see other posts on this site for regimen).

If they are not eating - then chances are low they can survive. I tried to treat my aquarium water with Metro and there was no improvement in my sick fish.

White feces are indicative of Hexamita parasite in the digestive tract.

Also check water quality - many discus have Hexamita and live with it - but stress on the fish (poor water quality) weakens their immune system and the Hexamita quickly multiply inside them ... hence the white feces.

eicas
12-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Are they eating?

If they are you can treat with Metronidazole soaked food (see other posts on this site for regimen).

If they are not eating - then chances are low they can survive. I tried to treat my aquarium water with Metro and there was no improvement in my sick fish.

White feces are indicative of Hexamita parasite in the digestive tract.

Also check water quality - many discus have Hexamita and live with it - but stress on the fish (poor water quality) weakens their immune system and the Hexamita quickly multiply inside them ... hence the white feces.

My fish has not eaten for weeks. I wonder how she could survive.
I treat her in quarantine tank with R.O water and Indian Almond Leaf. 250mg Metro/10Gallon. Temp is 86K. I used Na-cl salt. I fed her bloodworm and beef + garlic before.
I heard many people used praziquantel. And it worked. Tomorrow, I'll change the treatment. Is it ok?

mmorris
12-26-2009, 12:18 PM
My fish has not eaten for weeks. I wonder how she could survive.
I treat her in quarantine tank with R.O water and Indian Almond Leaf. 250mg Metro/10Gallon. Temp is 86K. I used Na-cl salt. I fed her bloodworm and beef + garlic before.
I heard many people used praziquantel. And it worked. Tomorrow, I'll change the treatment. Is it ok?

Since you started with metro I would continue, but you are under-dosing. I recommend 400 mg daily for a minimum of 10 days. Remember the epsom salts. You may need to worm but I don't know if you should mix the meds. You might want to post in the disease section. Good luck.