PDA

View Full Version : Is a sump worth it?

traco
12-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I've got an Lifereef overflow system from my saltwater days and was thinking of using it on the discus tank. Only a 15 gallon tall will fit under the 55 gallon. I hope to hide heaters and maybe one of the AC110s.

Anyone know how hard it is to prime the Lifereef after a water change because it is obviously going to break the prime with big water changes? Is adding 15 gallons really going to make a difference?

lkevin
12-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I've never used that specific sump but in general I think sumps are beneficial. Not only are you adding ~ 25% more tank volume, but you will increase your oxygen concentrations, which is always a good thing. Its also a nice place to hide your goodies, like you mention.

I say go for it, sumps are awesome.

discussmith
12-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular brand but all the sumps I am familiar with either use tank drilled stand tubes or box overflows. If properly installed you should be able to remove 100% of the tank water without breaking the overflow siphon.

David Rose
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
I've had my wet/dry sump set up for over four or five months now, but it is rated to match my tank size; otherwise, I would need to add additional filtration. That said, even with weighing the pros and cons, I think I would not use a sump if I had to do it all to do over again and would have installed two canisters.

I think the biggest problem for me is having to maintain a sufficient water level in order for it to be able to function and not burn out the return pump. I guess I just feel married to the darn thing and not able to leave for a week or so. I realize you can overfill to some extent and have a few other options as well, but I just don't want to chance it.

Maybe it's just too new and I worry too much about floods or evaporation.

zamboniMan
12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I say go for it. Even with large water changes you're unlikely to have to reprime every time. They're highly beneficial and easy to maintain once you get used to them.

smiley
12-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I've had my wet/dry sump set up for over four or five months now, but it is rated to match my tank size; otherwise, I would need to add additional filtration. That said, even with weighing the pros and cons, I think I would not use a sump if I had to do it all to do over again and would have installed two canisters.

I think the biggest problem for me is having to maintain a sufficient water level in order for it to be able to function and not burn out the return pump. I guess I just feel married to the darn thing and not able to leave for a week or so. I realize you can overfill to some extent and have a few other options as well, but I just don't want to chance it.

I have my friends complaining of these too...

scuba guy
12-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Does your sump have a lid? If not put a lid on the top of the sump to enclose it so no water evaporates. I have a sump and never lose water. My tank is new - and when I filled it, I didn't change any water for several weeks to help it get established and there was no evaporation.

JEB
01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I have used a sump for years on a 96 gallon flat back hex Amiracle acrylic tank with an Amiracle wet dry sump and an Eheim pump. The only problem I see is the sump tends to get alot of sediment on the bottom as some of the water gets past the filter media. I hung a Magnum HOT on the side of the sump to help filter and recirculate the water that lies in dead spots in the sump and it works great. Sump stays free of sediment and much cleaner.

David Rose
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
My 35G sump is divided into three chambers; two inlets which are covered and the final chamber where the return pump is store has not cover. With doing frequent water changes there is little noticable evaporation; however, going on a two week vacation or business trip would give me concern.

I would be interested to know what others do in similar situations. I would think with even a 100% WC before leaving, our filters would have to catch up to the added bioload if you change water every day, other day, or even twice weekly. I would think there would be ill effects even if we cut back on feeding.

I guess this is why I'm looking forward setting an ozone system and possible switchig to canisters.

Jhhnn
01-11-2010, 01:19 AM
My one 75gal sump system, a much older "Oceanic trickle filter model 75", works quite well and evaporation is minimal because of the covered sump. I vent excess air from my central airpump into the bioball chamber. The sump capacity of 20 gallons is rather large by modern standards, so it's quite forgiving wrt overfilling. I need to study the evaporation rate so that I can overfill appropriately before our planned 2 week vacation next summer. Letting the fish go hungry while we're gone seems to be the best available option at this point for all the tanks. I expect nothing more than elevated nitrates and hungry fish when we return.

Anybody interested in ozone should study Chad Hughes' methods- the search function is your friend.