PDA

View Full Version : how often do change media

matt2426
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
hello simply discus i have a question about filter media i have two fluval 405s for my 125 gallon tank i was wondering how often do i replace the bio media, and the filter pads thats all i am currently using for my filtration thanks any input would be appreciated

David Rose
12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Ceramic bio-rings or other solid media media (except for carbon) do not need replaced given they house the beneficial bacterial colony that consume the ammonia and nitrites in your aquarium. The sponges only need to be squeezed and rinsed periodically with non-chlorinated water or old tank water. You can rinse the bio-media as well, but you don't want to rinse the sponges and the bio-rings at the same time. You would alternate cleaning the two. If you use a floss or micro pad of some sort, it can be rinsed as well every couple of weeks, but needs to be replaced maybe every couple of months. Your sponges should hold up pretty well, but may need to be replaced maybe one a year.

HTH
David

matt2426
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
alright thanks so i wouldnt be a good idea to replace lets say a quarter of the bio media with new bio media ever couple of months or yearly thanks

David Rose
12-27-2009, 10:30 PM
The bio-media as described above is intended to be permanent.

I'm sure others will jump in here to voice their opinions as well or you could Google the type you have or ask your local fish store techie.

Eddie
12-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Never ever!

Eddie

matt2426
12-27-2009, 11:15 PM
i just did some research and it says the fluval bio max should be replaced every 6 months but not all at once thanks for all your help

Eddie
12-27-2009, 11:46 PM
i just did some research and it says the fluval bio max should be replaced every 6 months but not all at once thanks for all your help

Yeah, thats the sale of the product, they gotta keep digging in your pocket. You dont ever have to change it, ever.

Eddie

David Rose
12-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I doubt that you will find any Fluval biomax users on SD that replace it, but I could be wrong. I use their brand and Acqua Clear brand in my HOB filters. I also use Eheim substrate as well and wound't even think about replacing it.

Personally, I would either get the manufacturer's rationalization as to why to replace it or I would probably switch to another brand that states that you never have to replace it such as Eheim substrate for cost effectiveness.

Personally, I'm considering wanting to try Seachem's Pond Matrix biomedia. It can be used in wet/dry sump as well as cansiters.

matt2426
12-28-2009, 12:13 AM
alright thanks for the help

RD.
12-28-2009, 03:48 AM
I have bio-max rings that are 10-15 yrs old, and still going strong.

As Eddie implied, the only reason that any manufacturer suggests replacing them is to increase their bottom line.

Scribbles
12-28-2009, 04:38 AM
My bio-max rings are 9-10 years old. Save your money and your biological filtration.

Chris

exv152
12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Agreed, the biofiltration media never gets changed, only rinsed, unless of course it's damaged. The floss can be changed once per month, and the blue coarse padding can be rinsed every four to six months. This all depends if you have a planted tank, and depends on number of fish.

DonMD
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Agreed, the biofiltration media never gets changed, only rinsed, unless of course it's damaged. The floss can be changed once per month, and the blue coarse padding can be rinsed every four to six months. This all depends if you have a planted tank, and depends on number of fish.

What he said!

spyder329
03-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Wow I know that this thread is pretty old but, thanks for all the information.. I was changing my bio-sponge every 3 months and I do not even have any bio rings in my tank. . I have so much to learn yet.

David Rose
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow I know that this thread is pretty old but, thanks for all the information.. I was changing my bio-sponge every 3 months and I do not even have any bio rings in my tank. . I have so much to learn yet.

Glad you found Simply Discus....you'll find a ton of information and wonderful people here that are willing to help along the way!

Take care,
David

spyder329
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Glad you found Simply Discus....you'll find a ton of information and wonderful people here that are willing to help along the way!

Take care,
David

To be honest I think I am on information overload. Way too much to take in all at once. I am trying to take it all in slowly..