PDA

View Full Version : Blue Scorpion X Penang Eruption

Eddie
12-28-2009, 04:17 AM
These 2 spawned in the community tank and although I do not like the idea of red mixed with blue, they are both 14 bar fish so maybe they will throw something decent. I like the idea of maybe getting a few decent red eyes on an eruption but maybe they'll all be blue fish. :(

Anybody have any bad experience with this cross?

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/IMG_5647.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/IMG_5648.jpg

Scribbles
12-28-2009, 05:42 AM
I have no idea as to what they'll throw but they are both nice fish! Looks like the fry will have some sort of spots. It could be interesting to see what they produce.

Chris

Eddie
12-28-2009, 05:48 AM
I have no idea as to what they'll throw but they are both nice fish! Looks like the fry will have some sort of spots. It could be interesting to see what they produce.

Chris

Thanks Chris, they both are very nicely shaped and healthy. I love the Blue Scorpions deep red eye and body features. The Eruption is so so in color but has a good shape and pattern. Guess I'll see what they can do together. ;)

Take care,

Eddie

moik
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Nice pair of females you have there,you should get tons of eggs...JK..LOLOLOL..I have 2 BS males and looking for a BS female or just a female for a cross like your pair..

mmorris
12-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Time will tell, I suppose, but they are both nice fish. You will have to raise the fry up to quite a large size before you can tell what they will look like. Do you have the tank space? People often don't like to buy crosses when the outcome is unknown .

Eddie
12-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Nice pair of females you have there,you should get tons of eggs...JK..LOLOLOL..I have 2 BS males and looking for a BS female or just a female for a cross like your pair..

LOL, yeah wish I had a blue female! Its all good though.

Time will tell, I suppose, but they are both nice fish. You will have to raise the fry up to quite a large size before you can tell what they will look like. Do you have the tank space? People often don't like to buy crosses when the outcome is unknown .

Thanks Martha, thats what I have been told too, that I'll have to grow some out to F2 or F3 to get what I want out of the Blue Scorpion. Alot of work and space but we'll see. I wouldn't be selling them off, just keeping some breeding stock. I may just end up selling the pair.

Take care

Eddie

tcmemphisbbq
12-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Beautiful discus Eddie....

MostlyDiscus
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
"Lifes like a box of chocolates, You never know what your going to get"

Eddie,

15yrs ago I crossed wild Alenquers and Ellen Halligans Red Turqs. Around 70% were browns with minor markings. 30% were red turqs and some were very nice. I now have 40 or 50 1yr offspring from a Tangerine Albino cross. Its amazing the differences among the offspring. My intention is to cross back the 1yr offspring to albino adults.

Ed

Eddie
12-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Beautiful discus Eddie....

Thanks!

I hear ya Ed, we'll see. I dont want to get too over my head with fish/fry/tanks.......as I wait for more fish coming today. :o LOL

Take care fellas

Eddie

DiscusKev
12-30-2009, 04:04 AM
Whatever the outcome is, it will sure be a surprise! Both Discus are beautiful, so I'm sure the offspring shall be interesting :D Would be quite nice to see a blue based Penang Eruption with red eyes IMO.

Eddie
12-30-2009, 04:11 AM
Whatever the outcome is, it will sure be a surprise! Both Discus are beautiful, so I'm sure the offspring shall be interesting :D Would be quite nice to see a blue based Penang Eruption with red eyes IMO.

Funny you mentioned that, several others said the same thing. A blue Snake with red spots. :D

Eddie

joanr
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree, the spotteds are beautiful but the eyes are not always red enough for my liking and the base is most often a dull cream color. You might get a killer fish or two from that pair with great color.

Eddie
12-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I agree, the spotteds are beautiful but the eyes are not always red enough for my liking and the base is most often a dull cream color. You might get a killer fish or two from that pair with great color.

I was thinking about it alot and I'd really like to improve the Eruption, or my Eruptions anyways. I have never seen an Eruption with a solid red eye and when someone makes it, there will be little competition. A solid red eye goes a LONG way IMO.

Eddie

Eddie
01-02-2010, 06:02 AM
5 days later, first spawn in the breeding tank.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/1st%20spawn/th_BlueScorpionPESpawn.jpg (http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/1st%20spawn/?action=view&current=BlueScorpionPESpawn.flv)

Cheers

Eddie

Tito
01-02-2010, 06:21 AM
I'd say go for it Eddie. They are really nice fish and it's worth the try.

Someone here once said a similar cross would throw some one color and some another. The spots and the eyes has my interest!:)

Maybe you'll get me my Blue Body Red Leopards!

TRUC10507
01-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Eddie That blue scorpion is very nice.
GL

Ed13
01-02-2010, 09:48 AM
This is a cross I'd be def attempting if I had these strains! If they were mine, I'd be looking really close at the 9bar offspring. Both having SS genes could also throw something nice with 14bars. Either way it's exciting!

Eddie
01-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Eddie That blue scorpion is very nice.
GL

Thanks I appreciate it!

This is a cross I'd be def attempting if I had these strains! If they were mine, I'd be looking really close at the 9bar offspring. Both having SS genes could also throw something nice with 14bars. Either way it's exciting!

Yeah, it is exciting thinking about the offspring. I have alot of 14 bar going on here. From my Heckel Cross X BS babies, to the new 14 bar wilds I just grabbed. Be cool to inject some wild solid red snake blood into the offspring of these 2. :D

Take care,

Eddie

Eddie
01-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Man, surprisingly enough, the eggs were fertilized on the very first spawn. The Eruption Momma is doing better than any of my other females. She has total dedication to the eggs, diligently fanning. Dad is a not as protective as my other males though, he lets me do anything in or out of the tank. Hopefully these 2 can turn into my solid as a rock pair!

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/1st%20spawn/Eggs%2043%20hours/IMG_6268.jpg

Take care,

Eddie

Scribbles
01-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Wow, they sure didn't waste any time! Good luck, I can't wait to see what you get from them.

Chris

Eddie
01-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow, they sure didn't waste any time! Good luck, I can't wait to see what you get from them.

Chris

Yeah, I know....I think all my fish just want to procreate since they've all been at deaths door! LOL

I'll see what happens with these ones. Keep you posted

Take care,

Eddie

Eddie
01-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, lost the whole batch to what I believe was either parasite or bacteria. I didn't do any clean up on these 2 in a while so figured I'd clean them up. All bright and lively today and there are looking to spawn again shortly, I think. ;)

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/6%20Jan/IMG_6292.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/6%20Jan/IMG_6295.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/6%20Jan/IMG_6298.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/New%20Pair/PE%20X%20BS/6%20Jan/IMG_6301.jpg

joanr
01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Next time Eddy, they sure are a nice pair!

Eddie
01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Next time Eddy, they sure are a nice pair!

Thanks Joan, I am in no hurry....they did really well for their first spawn, all the way to wrigglers. The wrigglers just didn't make it, the pair just sat and stared as the little bubs stopped moving. :( At least now they will have a fair chance, it was my bad for not cleaning the pair up first. :(

Take care,

Eddie

Tito
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Eddie - what does that mean clean up?

Eddie
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Eddie - what does that mean clean up?

Clean them up from external parasite/bacteria. ;)

Eddie

Tito
01-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Clean them up from external parasite/bacteria. ;)

Eddie

ahh ok I got ya. ya gonna medicate them.

Eddie
01-05-2010, 10:38 PM
ahh ok I got ya. ya gonna medicate them.

Already did, now its just up to them. ;)

Eddie

moik
01-05-2010, 11:13 PM
whatcha use???
Already did, now its just up to them. ;)

Eddie

Eddie
01-05-2010, 11:19 PM
whatcha use???

4 hour PP bath followed by 6 hour Nifurpirinol (furanase) bath, in the breeding tank.

Dont try this at home. :D Just kidding.

PS: I dont care who comes on here talking about this or that. They can go home and do it their way.....who's way is the right way, anyways......hhhmmmm.

Eddie

Tito
01-05-2010, 11:20 PM
4 hour PP bath followed by 6 hour Nifurpirinol (furanase) bath, in the breeding tank.

Dont try this at home. :D Just kidding.

PS: I dont care who comes on here talking about this or that. They can go home and do it their way.....who's way is the right way, anyways......hhhmmmm.

Eddie

Have you been talking to that German bacteria free Discus guy! LOL

joanr
01-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd say they are pretty clean now....lol. What do you think is most effective, a roll over salt dip or the PP/furanase baths? Which is harshest on the fish? Just curious, not judging your methods or anything. I used to dose the eggs and caught hell on here from a few folks for doing that....lol. But never had the white fungus problem and didn't kill the eggs either.

Eddie
01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Have you been talking to that German bacteria free Discus guy! LOL

No, cleaning up pairs is recommended in Andrew Soh's first book. As far as the antibiotic usage, many will frown on it but I don't give a toss, this is also mentioned in Soh's first book. Not the use of Furanase but using an antibiotic in certain circumstances when fry's die like mine did. The choice of Furanase and the method was my decision, using methods outlined in Edward J Noga's book, Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatment. This book is my bible.

I'd say they are pretty clean now....lol. What do you think is most effective, a roll over salt dip or the PP/furanase baths? Which is harshest on the fish? Just curious, not judging your methods or anything. I used to dose the eggs and caught hell on here from a few folks for doing that....lol. But never had the white fungus problem and didn't kill the eggs either.

I am not qualified to say which is better Joan. PP is pretty good and I prefer it. The use of antibiotics was only needed IMO due to the way the fry died. I chose this method and people can shoot me, it wont hurt. LOL

As far as treating eggs, I dont ever get fungus on eggs. I believe fungus has more to do with water composition. My water must not create an environment for fungus to thrive.

HTH

Eddie

PS-Shoot away people! :D I would not recommend any of my methods for treating fish to anyone as I am not a professional.

mmorris
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Sorry about the fry, Eddie. What happened? Did they just drop off the cone and die?

Eddie
01-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Sorry about the fry, Eddie. What happened? Did they just drop off the cone and die?

Pretty much, its all good though, there are more buns in the oven. :D

Eddie

David Rose
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your first batch Eddie. :(

As for anyone using your methods as target practice, I would be very surprised given you're a pioneer who does his homework to research methods that are out there and make informed decisions on what you're willing to try.

If we didn't have folks like you there wouldn't be advancements to our hobby!:thumbsup:

Best of luck with the next batch my friend!

Eddie
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Sorry to hear you lost your first batch Eddie. :(

As for anyone using your methods as target practice, I would be very surprised given you're a pioneer who does his homework to research methods that are out there and make informed decisions on what you're willing to try.

If we didn't have folks like you there wouldn't be advancements to our hobby!:thumbsup:

Best of luck with the next batch my friend!

LOL, thanks David.....flattered. I'm always learning my friend, from everyone and every day.

This is the first time for these 2 so they have plenty more to go. I am not worried about it as I am adding a few more breeding set-ups at the moment. Gonna add a few 20s and another 29 here shortly and I am making room.

Take care and best with your frys buddy,

Eddie

Scribbles
01-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Sorry to hear that you lost the first batch Eddie. Better luck on the next try.

Chris

underwaterforest
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Beautiful fish you got there Eddie. I can't wait to see what the next batch brings. Good Luck.

Eddie
01-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Beautiful fish you got there Eddie. I can't wait to see what the next batch brings. Good Luck.

Thanks, they spawned again but ate the eggs. Maybe they just want more practice. :D

Take care,

Eddie