PDA

View Full Version : Im torn...

Finatic
12-28-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a 55 with my African cichlids, but am thinking about returning them to the LFS and using that tank for growing out my 10 juvies in a BB tank instead of my 125. A 55 would use much less water to change daily and easier to control if I run into problems (Im currently paranoid over 1 of my Checkerboard Turquoise who seems out of sorts).

I love my africans, but not nearly as much as my Discus (even though they stress me out waaaaay more than the africans do which havent given me any problems the entire time I have had them). Would a BB 55 be big enough for 10 3" juvies, knowing someday they will go back into the 125?

Getting another tank isnt really an option since I think my wife would be less than happy if I did.

thoughts?

Eddie
12-28-2009, 09:45 PM
I have a 55 with my African cichlids, but am thinking about returning them to the LFS and using that tank for growing out my 10 juvies in a BB tank instead of my 125. A 55 would use much less water to change daily and easier to control if I run into problems (Im currently paranoid over 1 of my Checkerboard Turquoise who seems out of sorts).

I love my africans, but not nearly as much as my Discus (even though they stress me out waaaaay more than the africans do which havent given me any problems the entire time I have had them). Would a BB 55 be big enough for 10 3" juvies, knowing someday they will go back into the 125?

Getting another tank isnt really an option since I think my wife would be less than happy if I did.

thoughts?

Get a foam divider from Hans and split the 125, keeping them on one side. They will benefit from the extra water. If its the water you are concerned about, you have more leeway with the 125 as far as water changes go. 10 of them in a 55, you'll just be doing more frequent and larger changes.

Eddie

mmorris
12-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I assume the 125 is planted, or has rocks and substrate? I would tear down the 125 to a bb and raise them in that.

Finatic
12-29-2009, 12:34 AM
the 125 is planted, but not easy (or even possible) to tear down due to my real rock background and the filter system I have on it (long story) The plants could be easily removed, but that isnt the problem with the 125.

I am doing a good job keeping up on my water changes, and overall the discus look great and dare I say even growing in the few weeks I have had them. All of the Marlboro and Melons are eating like pigs, the sapphire also is a beast, all of these eating anything I put in. The 2 checkerboards have been picky since day one, but still eat very well with the FBW and BH. I guess Im just freaked out that after having lost 1 of my sapphires when I first got them, and now 1 of the checkerboards acting weird, did I bite off more than I can chew, thus the idea of doing a BB tank...

Dont mind me, Im easily swayed by the mood of my fish. When they are happy, so am I, when they are acting weird, Im not happy :(

Eddie
12-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Dont mind me, Im easily swayed by the mood of my fish. When they are happy, so am I, when they are acting weird, Im not happy :(

We all feel, how are fish feel. ;)

Eddie