PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fighting?

glenwood
12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Well I bought 3 discus about 2 months ago; 1 PB (4.5 in), 1 Brillant Blue (3.5 in), 1 Blue Dimond (3 in). Well I introduced a 4th discus (4 in snow white) to the bunch today after 3 weeks of Quar. Well now the new discus is getting picked on by the brillant blue...

He seems to not even back off the slightest...will this kill my discus? Or will the fighting settle down?

Thanks,
-Glen

edit: I noticed fighting 1 hour after i introduced the new discus so I feed them, two hours later still fighting...

Eddie
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
This is normal as the pecking order is re-established. If the new fish gets any physical damage, you may benefit from using a tank divider. The constant stress to the new fish will open it up to disease. I'd wait it out for another few days unless the new fish gets badly hurt.

I notice you only have 4 discus and it is a bad number. 6 discus in a tank as a minimum will spread the aggression but keep the fish in tight nit group (discus dynamics).

HTH

Eddie

glenwood
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
This is normal as the pecking order is re-established. If the new fish gets any physical damage, you may benefit from using a tank divider. The constant stress to the new fish will open it up to disease. I'd wait it out for another few days unless the new fish gets badly hurt.

I notice you only have 4 discus and it is a bad number. 6 discus in a tank as a minimum will spread the aggression but keep the fish in tight nit group (discus dynamics).

HTH

Eddie

Ah ok thanks and I will keep a close eye for the next few days.

Im working on getting more discus but I don't also want to over crowd my tank as it is a community tank aswell and this last discus sort of capped the 1in of fish per 1 gallon rule. I might end up giving a few of my fish to a LPS

mmorris
12-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Can you tell us something about your setup?

glenwood
12-29-2009, 12:36 AM
sure...

-72 gallon tank
-flural 304 canister filter
-heated at 82 degrees
-water changes every week 60%+; empty and completely cleaned every 4 weeks.

inhabitance

-4 discus (3-4.5 in)
-4 glass cats (3 in schooling fish)
-1 ranbow shark (5 in)
-1 black Ghost knifefish (6 in) *already know about potential issues with him*
-1 albino claw frog (5 in) *know about potential issues with him aswell, thus far no problems*
-2 cories (2 in)
-2 clown loaches
-2 hatchets (2.5 in)
-1 pleco (8 in) *already know about pleco's having a fix on discus coating, been watching him and doesnt seem to care for them at all*

edit:
I've had all the fish together besides the new addition for 2 months now
all the fish besides the discus together for 2+ years

jaykne
12-29-2009, 06:55 AM
I agree with Eddie when it comes to the fighting, and if it were me I always keep at least 6 discus togather. Sounds like you have way to many fish and not enough water changes, plus allot of those fish I would never keep with discus. The general rule is 1 discus per 10g of water, not to say that rule can't be broken but need allot more water changes. I keep 6 discus in a 55g bare bottem and do daily water changes of at least 70% untill full grown and then do 50% every couple days, and for me I stick with just discus no other fish.

glenwood
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with Eddie when it comes to the fighting, and if it were me I always keep at least 6 discus togather. Sounds like you have way to many fish and not enough water changes, plus allot of those fish I would never keep with discus. The general rule is 1 discus per 10g of water, not to say that rule can't be broken but need allot more water changes. I keep 6 discus in a 55g bare bottem and do daily water changes of at least 70% untill full grown and then do 50% every couple days, and for me I stick with just discus no other fish.

Yeah alot of people say that about discus, but the discus in the tank are the more dominate fish, they eat before the others. If you go by the 1 inch per gallon rule, im at 68 in of fish in 72 gallons and 4 discus equals 40 gal so in still good there. None of the other fish are fast moving so stress is to a minimum.

I havent seen any issues thus far with the weekly water changes. All my parameters are great, that could be because the tanks been running for 6-7 years now and the fact I completely empty it once a month.

As for bare bottom my tank is almost a bare bottom, it has large round rocks (1 in-3 in) in the tank that covers just enough to hide the bottom, but i can easy move them arround to syphen out the mess which i do durring my water change.

edit: i also have some large rocks in there stacked in the middle for the fish to hide in and a few plastic plants on the sides.

mmorris
12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah alot of people say that about discus, but the discus in the tank are the more dominate fish, they eat before the others. If you go by the 1 inch per gallon rule, im at 68 in of fish in 72 gallons and 4 discus equals 40 gal so in still good there. None of the other fish are fast moving so stress is to a minimum.

I havent seen any issues thus far with the weekly water changes. All my parameters are great, that could be because the tanks been running for 6-7 years now and the fact I completely empty it once a month.

There's a reason why "a lot of people say that about discus." You only have four discus and they are fighting so stress is not to a minimum. You've only had three discus for two months and you just added a fourth yesterday so I think it's a bit early to assume that your wc regime is ok. I'm sorry, but I think you are walking a fine line here. Perhaps it will work out as-is, but you might want to think seriously about the advice given regarding wc regime and stocking. Best of luck. :)

zamboniMan
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM

As for bare bottom my tank is almost a bare bottom, it has large round rocks (1 in-3 in) in the tank that covers just enough to hide the bottom, but i can easy move them arround to syphen out the mess which i do durring my water change.

edit: i also have some large rocks in there stacked in the middle for the fish to hide in and a few plastic plants on the sides.

The 1" per gallon is more of a guideline as is the 1 discus per 10 gallons. Lots of people don't follow these guidelins and do just fine. Alot of people will be like :argue: but you just have to figure out how things work with you. Based on your list I'd say adding another 2 discus won't be an issue.

As for the fighting it should calm down soon. If not use a tank divider to split the new discus out until the others get used to it. Or put 2 on each side of the tank divider for a couple weeks then remove it.

Good luck!

Josh

Tropheus
12-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I have been into fish for a long time but isn't this really way too many fish for a tank including Discus?

zamboniMan
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
It's an interesting assortment but I think it's okay. Depending on the size of the clowns he's under the 1" per gallon rule. I don't follow this and I've never had any problems. If you keep up with your water it's fine. If you never touch your water it might be different.

mmorris
01-01-2010, 06:33 PM
It's an interesting assortment but I think it's okay .

He has four discus and they are fighting. :)

zamboniMan
01-02-2010, 01:52 AM
sure...

-72 gallon tank
-flural 304 canister filter
-heated at 82 degrees
-water changes every week 60%+; empty and completely cleaned every 4 weeks.

inhabitance

-4 discus (3-4.5 in)
-4 glass cats (3 in schooling fish)
-1 ranbow shark (5 in)
-1 black Ghost knifefish (6 in) *already know about potential issues with him*
-1 albino claw frog (5 in) *know about potential issues with him aswell, thus far no problems*
-2 cories (2 in)
-2 clown loaches
-2 hatchets (2.5 in)
-1 pleco (8 in) *already know about pleco's having a fix on discus coating, been watching him and doesnt seem to care for them at all*

edit:
I've had all the fish together besides the new addition for 2 months now
all the fish besides the discus together for 2+ years

I meant everything else he's got in there :D

mmorris
01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
:D

glenwood
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
He has four discus and they are fighting. :)

The fight has stopped and the new discus is finally eating again but...he stays on one end of the tank and hides =(. I hope he makes it, no signs of being sick other then being shy. I am going to buy 2 more discus tho and might get ride of the black knife fish.

mmorris
01-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Sounds like a plan. Be sure to quarantine. :)