PDA

View Full Version : Testing ammonia levels in tap water?

MGKelly
12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
I used 2 different test kits "mardel and API" to test 2 water samples of tap water and both samples tested just about 0.25. I bought the second test kit to make sure my first kit was giving me accurate readings.

Is it normal for tap to contain small levels of ammonia?

thanks, Joe

Jhhnn
12-30-2009, 10:24 PM
If your supplier uses chloramines, yes.

Article-

http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-chloramines.htm

MGKelly
12-31-2009, 02:20 AM
Thanks, Jhhnn

OK, so I'm going to test for chloramines and see, but is looks like my water will always have a trace of ammonia even with biological filtration?

How does removing chlorine affect chloramines / ammonia?

By the way my PH is 7.4 and hardness 200ppm out of the tap.
The big question is how does all this affect my Discus?

Joe

Eddie
12-31-2009, 03:00 AM
If you use Seachem Safe or Prime, you wont have to worry about any of it. Go for Safe, its EXTREMELY cost effective. 1 kilo container will last you more than a year. ;)

Eddie

MGKelly
12-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks Eddie,

That answered my question, I already have some Seachem Prime and as soon as it's gone will order the Seachem Safe.

Joe

TankWatcher
12-31-2009, 08:31 AM
My tap water also tests for ammonia, but once it's been put into a well cycled tank the beneficial bacteria soon takes care of it.

Must do, because although my tap tests positive for ammonia, my tanks test zero ammonia (even very soon after a 50% water change)

Jhhnn
12-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Like Eddie says, either of the Seachem water conditioners will convert free ammonia to ammonium, which is much less harmful. Biofilters then process both into nitrites, then nitrates.

The Seachem ammonia test kit is the only one I know of that can tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium. Using Prime, other kits give false readings...

MGKelly
01-08-2010, 08:45 PM
thanks, i just bought the seachem ammonia kit.

Joe