PDA

View Full Version : heating the water for W/C

htruong
12-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi All,

I need lots of warm water for my fish for WC and I need it fast! The problem I am running into is that the warm water is running out after 60 gallons or so in my home. I know lots of you here are running into the same problem. How would you solve it? Is there any system that take in cold water and produce warm water out? If so, where can I get such a system?

Happy New Year!

Thanks,

-Hoang

korbi_doc
12-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Hoang, many of us use barrels, trash barrels or the lg white 50g food barrels & put heaters & aeration in to bring the water up to temp...one needs a pump to then get the water to the tanks....it's really easy to set up....for myself, have 2 white & 1 Rubbermaid trash barrels & a via aqua pump that feeds my tanks...a 5/8 garden hose has worked for me for yrs with the attached pump...pump size depends on distance & height to travel....I'm sure you will get many more suggestions since there are multiple methods....good luck...

Dottie & HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

fish4fun
12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
get a renai tank less instant hot water unit your home....you'll never run out of hot water....LOL

Jhhnn
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Lots of options.

Do you own the home, plan on staying?

What's the capacity of your current water heater? Gas or electric? How old is it?

Can you conveniently use storage barrels? How much water do you need to use in what period of time?

Are you willing to spend, or do you need to economize?

As is, what you're asking is a little too vague for good answers...

One of the things you can do immediately is to turn up the temp on your existing hot water heater if there are no small children in your household. Do *not* do that if there are small children, as they can easily scald themselves rather badly with very hot water...

As has been offered, a tankless water heater is the ultimate answer- endless hot water- but the upfront costs are high...

phat nguyen
12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi Hoang,
I usually do this with my WC in the past few years.
I aged tap water (cold ) in a separate tank with air stone for 24 hours. I then mixed this with HOT tap water to a desirable temperature for my Discus.
By doing this, I don t have to waste power by running the HEATER in the extra tank 24/7.
With practice you can mix the water perfectly with 60/40 or 65/35 between aged and new HOT tap water .

Good luck,

Perry Nguyen

David Rose
12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
If the tankless hot water system isn't feasible, here is an option for a 100G/$195 storage barrel with free shipping. There are two 100G sizes with free shipping: 23" or 28" diameter and the height would be 64" or 45"

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=3421

htruong
01-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi Hoang,
I usually do this with my WC in the past few years.
I aged tap water (cold ) in a separate tank with air stone for 24 hours. I then mixed this with HOT tap water to a desirable temperature for my Discus.
By doing this, I don t have to waste power by running the HEATER in the extra tank 24/7.
With practice you can mix the water perfectly with 60/40 or 65/35 between aged and new HOT tap water .

Good luck,

Perry Nguyen

Thanks everyone for your advices. I am overwhelmed by all the ideas/solutions. That's great.

Phat, I have one question for you: Do you treat (Prime/SAFE or something else) your HOT tap water before you mix it with the aged tap cold water?

Thanks again everyone and happy new year!

-Hoang

phat nguyen
01-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Hello Hoang,
I usually treat the cold aged water with Prime the night before, then adding the HOT tap water to the bucket that contain the aged water.
With the tank of 60 gal of HOT water in your water heater, you can add about another 100-120 gal of COLD aged water...... That would enable you to do lots WC for lots of tank.;) ;)

Good luck,

Perry Nguyen