PDA

View Full Version : Clairification

JPLDISCUS
01-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

I've been calling these Melons which I have seen them with different names.
The others....not sure.

What are the correct name for these?

Thanks for any help here.

Jim

William Palumbo
01-02-2010, 08:33 PM
As for the first pic, I bought a pair off a sponsor on here, that look EXACTLY like your pair, as Red Flamingo's...Bill

JPLDISCUS
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
As for the first pic, I bought a pair off a sponsor on here, that look EXACTLY like your pair, as Red Flamingo's...Bill

Yes Kenny Discus has a simlar has Super Flamigo' and Albino Red White Melons. See his below.

Mine (in the middle picture) are close to Albino Red White Melons, but more red and towards the Super Flaimgo's, you think?

I just need to get a better understanding of what I have here.

Unless there is another name for these I am going with Super Flamigo's for now.

I dont know who breed this pair, although they have spawned and have
some of these work with.

Thanks

Jim

Ed13
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Jim, your red discus are Melons. They are pigeon blood based, look at the dark caudal. Flamingos are golden based crossed back to pigeon genes.

In this case it's all in the phenotype.

seanyuki
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I do not think they are albino at all cos albino discus have red rabbit eyes or Lutino eyes.....just my 2 cents.

rickztahone
01-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Jim, your red discus are Melons. They are pigeon blood based, look at the dark caudal. Flamingos are golden based crossed back to pigeon genes.

In this case it's all in the phenotype.

this is exactly what i was going to say Ed, pretty much word for word, lol. those are red melons, i have a couple that also look similar to that, except the lighter face on the one on the left. as far as the second pic, i also have one that looks like that and that seems to be a wild x cross, not sure if yours would be albino intermediates or not but i know Scott has one. I have one that i know isn't an albino intermediate. the remaining one in the second pic seems to be a cobalt, if not that then a cross w/ cobalt i would say

JPLDISCUS
01-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks All

Red Melons are fine with me, just needed to get confirm with you hobbyists.

As for the others, I dont have the correct names either, just wilds/cross of some sort.
Thinking they are simlar to Alenquer or Santarem, any thoughts?

What should I call these 2?

Jim

Ed13
01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks All

Red Melons are fine with me, just needed to get confirm with you hobbyists.

As for the others, I dont have the correct names either, just wilds/cross of some sort.
Thinking they are simlar to Alenquer or Santarem, any thoughts?

What should I call these 2?

Jim
The other two, would be just guesses. But, pretty much all brown/blue wilds crossed with albinos I've seen look like the brown one. The other one, well, has blue/cobalt genes, the question is if it's crossed or not.

For what is worth, I know that cobalt x wild brown can throw some offspring like the solid one. So a blind guess;), assuming they are siblings ;), I'll say albino Blue diamond or Cobalt crossed with wild blues. JUST A RANDOM GUESS though!

Only way to know for sure is straight from the breeder/seller, but if you've had them for a while it'll be hard they can even remember if if was a random pairing.